New Year and all that... hope you all had a good one.

Looking at the snow depths though, it looks like you guys ain't really got much snow over there yet.

Pretty poor numbers compared to even an average season? (Certainly compared to last season which was nuts by all accounts).

Very little snow so far, especially compared with last year. There's enough where we are skiing, and we're getting minor falls, so the conditions are quite good. There are some bare patches though, a first for me in Japan.

More importantly, the temperatures have dropped, and the rain stopped. It's stopped thawing.

I asked soubriquette about this last night. She says it it is not unusual, though not common for the snow to start this late. She gave the example of 2004/05 as a late start. I recall that in mid-December, Zao were so worried they got the Shinto priests out. Good gig that one.

I checked my photos. We had snow in town by 28/12/04, first major dump by 30/12, and we were out skiing on the 31st. We had had serious snow by 2/1/2005. Comparatively, we are only a week or so behind, with most of January and all of February to go.

Been dusting off my rock board selection today in preparation for tomorrow and probably Saturday too, even if it is snowing. A pretty bad start to the season in a lot of ways it seems. However, I remain optimistic \:D