I have heard mixed reports about driving in Japan. As an aussie, we at least drive on the same side of the road but whats the journey like if you dont read Japanese signs? Also someone said the tolls are super expensive?

Can anyone share their experiences of driving from Narita to Shiga? Is it possible to bypass Tokyo central to do so? Or are we mad and should stick to the Shink?

I presume you mean Shiga Kogen, as in the resort in Nagano, not Shiga Prefecture?

There are lots of English signs on the main roads. The tolls are expensive, yes but how many are there of you in the car?

Good luck!

Yes I mean SK We are probably going to be staying at Yakebitayama and Sun Valley (half the time at each). It is a family of four in the car. I read something about a frozen road. When you say expensive are we talking 5000 yen worth oneway, more or less?

The road up to Shiga Kogen (Route 292) is a winding road and also can be frozen and hazardous if you don't have snow tyres. Make sure your car is ready for that otherwise it might struggle.

5000 yen doesn't sound like enough for all that way, though I really don't know.

Signs aren't really a problem I don't think - lots of English.

Have a good time.

Stop signs arent in English. I know it sounds obvious, but I drove through them for years without knowing what they were.

Definitely take a 4WD with snow tyres. And even then expect some challenges. I saw a little mishap today up on the way to Hida Takayama, and these guys were really struggling, car sliding all over the place and wheels just spinning. I passed around them and not one minute later a car that was coming in the opposite direction ie down hit the brakes a bit hard and locked up but slide right out of control.

Save the adrenalin for the destination.

Thanks for the feedback. So Takayama Tearer, what DO the stop signs look like? I would be happy saving the adrenalin rush for the destination but the other half seems to have ideas of his own! I might need to wear the ski helmet in the car I think! Oh by the way, in Australia it is compulsory for kids to wear ski helmets and not adults. Do you know what the rules are in Japan?

If you rent the car at Narita airport, make sure you ask them in advance to put snowtires. Some agencies have winter offers sometimes and you can also ask them to put a ski/snowboard rack on the top.

You can avoid getting into central Tokyo if you get on the highway from Narita airport.

The toll from Narita airport are expensive, it is 8150 yen one way.

If you're just going from the airport to shiga and then back again, why not take a bus? Cars are often necessary in Canada and Australia but they are often just awkward in Japan. I'm looking into a road trip also at the moment coz I've got to make stops in several different places but I'm reassessing things to see if it's possible using trains and buses. Those windy mountain roads can be treacherous. Your hotel could probably give you very good advice -- if not set the whole thing up for you.

Yes, ger is right. Rent-a-car may be usefull in Hakuba or Niseko. However, roads in Shiga Kogen area have many steep slopes and some narrow at high location. They are frozen in the winter night. It causes some dangerous to drive cars. Also, most snow villages are poor (western people say "ugly") for night life. I suppose Sun Valley would have no independent bars/restraunts (ones with hotles/lodges only). Don't have the similar images of Aspen-Colorado or Jackson Hole-Wyoming for nightlife of Shiga Kogen-Japan.

scouser, know your byline is that if you have to explain I will never understand but can you humour me anyway?! Not sure what your message means, do elaborate as all input greatly received!

get a car with 4WD with snow tyres and you will be right, no worries at all, the roads can be icy but as long as you are carefull you will be right. If you look on the net there will be english maps to shiga http://www.shigakogen.gr.jp/english/ which will help, but most signs are in English, do another search on the net for driving in Japan and you will get pictures of road signs etc.

Tolls are expensive 7850 one way but cheaper than public transport for 4 people, the rental company should be able to give you directions and a map too, a good site but it's in japanese is http://www.hinavi.jp/route/hinavi.html which tells you routes, driving distances, tolls etc