Hi folks, good to see such an active Japan community going on. I'm hoping to join you soon

Anyways I have been reading this forum and the site for a while now and learnt a heck of a lot. Seems to me Japan is a really excellent place for skiing and snowboarding.

And so to my question. I get the impression that the resorts in Nagano and Niigata are all much closer to each other than the ones to the north (thanks for that new map section!)

Seems that living somewhere in the Nagano/Gunma/Niigata area might give you much more opportunity than living in Yamagata/Aomori/Iwate.

Is that right? Not sure if the snow isn't better to the north though.

(I ask because I have the chance to move to Japan to one of those two regions next year and silly as it may seem I'd love to be in a place that is great for skiing!)

I like a challenge, but I also like great snow conditions. Not interested that much in parks. I'd class myself as an (upper?) intermediate skier.

Thank you and happy new year!

Hi MrBiggins

Quote:
I get the impression that the resorts in Nagano and Niigata are all much closer to each other than the ones to the north
Correct. If you place yourself in Nagano city you've got quality resort areas within an hour or so in almost every direction. That would be my pick of a place to be (if I had a car). The snow is excellent as well, even though I'm no expert on Tohoku. Probably get more too.

You got something lined up in specific places?