Quote:
Originally posted by skidaisuki:
I have never heard of anyone losing stuff to thieves on the piste in Japan, nor from storage in accomodation. In short - no need to lock. That's the joy of this country.
Cute lol.gif

Most of my crew here have had at least one board knicked in at a ski jo in Japan. Locked and not.

A vigilant eye and a good uppercut are your best protection.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by skidaisuki:
I have never heard of anyone losing stuff to thieves on the piste in Japan, nor from storage in accomodation. In short - no need to lock. That's the joy of this country.
Saying in short no need to lock is not very good advice. Thats the same advice I was told just before my board got stolen, i learnt the hard way.

Unless your a policeman or work within the ski industry how can you give such a generalised statement regarding on piste theft for the hundreds of resorts in Japan.

I used to not lock up my board, but a buddy of mine had his horked in Cali. After that, I keep my stick locked up nice and tight whether i'm boarding in Cali, Japan, NZ, or New Hampshire. Nothing would ruin a day of boarding more than to come back with a stomach full of katsu and no board to ride on.

-SJA

In J, I usually don't lock my board unless:

1) I'll be inside for a really long time

2) It's windy out

3) The resort is crowded

Never had any probs (knock on wood), but I don't know if it's any different down on Honshu than it is on Hokkaido. I'd definitely lock my board at Niseko - that's not part of Japan anymore, right?

I always lock my board in North America. lol.gif

(I'm just answering the original post - not trying to give anyone advice on what to do or not to do)

some members of the ski patrol at happo got busted a few years back for nicking skis and then selling them on ebay. i was just saying to AK earlier, i wanna lock up my new skis, they stick out a mile sitting next to the others and have 48,000 yen bindings on them!!!!! i'm going to buy a lock.