I am beginning to learn Japanese! I am really enjoying it but wanna get up to speed really quickly. Has anyone any tips? I learned German a few years back and that was hard, but I am getting the feeling this is a whole new ball game.

The other night I was telling a girl in a bar that I wanted to ride my cat to work. She asked me what kind of cat and I said a Mazda Axela, it was only then she got worried and I found out my friend "misheard" me. It was funny though. lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Well if you are in Japan you have good chances to practice with people. If I were you as well as my self study and taking some lessons, I'd just get involved with Japanese people a lot and put myself in the deep end.

Good luck mate.

you mentioned you studied german and believe this is a whole new ball game.

I WAS fluent in spanish when I lived in south america. Then I decided to come to japan, thought I had the learning languages thing down. My spanish began fighting for supremacy at being my second language. I honestly intermixed the two for well over a year. Now my spanish has taken a back seat but I am wondering if it would be beneficial to actually study both at the same time, literally. It may actually be easier to understand grammar changes etc, if they are broken down together. Plus, having german under your belt will give you more ways to link the new language to a foundation in order to remember how to use it.

example; casa is house in spanish and umbrella in japanese. The first time I heard the word in japan I imagined a house for the rain. I'll never forget that word now.

some people have cringed at my idea of studying both together, but it could possibly work. I mean, there is no limit to the amount you can learn, just the amount you can learn in a given time frame.

If I ever do make another set of flash cards for vocab work they will definitely involve all three languages. It's just so much easier once you add more links for things to connect to one another.

Don't say "koko de koroshite kudasai" to the bus driver. The correct way to say "you can let me off here" is "koko de oroshite kudasai". Don't ask how I know the difference.

Good advice above about plunging in as being the best way to learn Japanese.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally posted by db le p:
I would give you my long list of tips for learning Japanese when you are not very serious about learning it. But last time I posted a mound of stuff for some guy who asked a similar question and then never said a word in response. So I can't be bothered doing it again. Track the guy down and blame him.
that would be me then...
\:\(

as ive noted in that post - i cant usually visit the forums as much as i want to... it is just unfortunate that before i had the chance to do so seven days later after my original post (which is today), you were so pissed at me for not bothering with a reply...