first timers booked in to Niseko Jan17th-28th...anything we need to know?

Like the subject says, my mate and I are in Niseko from Jan 17th till the 28th. It'll be the first time in Japan for both of us. We're staying at the Scot hotel.

I plan on bringing a Burton Fish or Malolo and a Custom 156/158, goggles with clear and yellow lenses, a 10,000mm down jacket, Skins, balaclava, point & shoot camera, and credit card.

I don't speak any Japanese, and being that we booked this trip so close to our departure time, I doubt I'll have the time to learn any. Will I get by ok? Can anyone suggest any restaurants? Is it true that riding anything off-piste in Niseko can get your pass clipped quick smart?

Please add anything else you think I might appreciate knowing before we leave.

Thanks,

Matt

My favourite restaurant is Abu-cha. Book a table as soon as you arrive, it's very popular.

Stay away from the permanently closed areas and strictly forbidden areas and your pass will be safe. ie If it says 'your pass will be confiscated if you enter this area' then it may.

Don't get drunk, become parochial and act arrogant then walk around making an ass of yourself and embaressing your country, like many visitors to Niseko do.

Enjoy mate.

Why bother saying anything if you can't be positive or constructive Beanie?

Big Cliff is a really good restaurant in Niseko. Pretty cheap Japanese food and drink. LOG1c, I don't know how tall you are but I think a 156 is too short to ride the powder in Niseko. I'd go for a 162 minimum to just to get you up and over the powder on the flatter runs. I always ride a 168 in Niseko and it's perfect for the conditions. I've never had problems with pass pulling in Niseko. The patrols seemed to be pretty chilled about off-piste riding up there unlike some places in Hakuba.

Enjoy, and like previously said just go with the flow and don't treat the place like it's your local pub back home and everyone wins.

Never been to Niseko myself, but about Japan,learn a few Japanese words. It will make the locals happy. Plus is a bit arrogant to go to a foreign country and expect people to understand English. Just doing your best with a few words may make a difference.

Something like:

-arigatou gozaimasu. (thank you)

-sumimasen. (excuse me, sorry).

-konnichiwa (Good afternoon)

-ohayo gozaimasu (good morning)

-konbanwa (good evening)

-sayonara (bye)

You can find more on the internet if you look for them.

to catch the sweet little snowboarding girls, try this line out; got me married thumbsup.gif

anata wa abazureon'na desu.

You are an angel of a woman.

makes 'em melt on the spot. Their shy personas don't know how to deal with such formal compliments. That, combined wtih your foreign charm will surely make for an interesting stay... \:\)

Just don't use it around other guys...

I'm not there to drink, nor am I there to give Australian's in Japan an even worse image...so I don't think there'll be any problems with any of that.

Mudguts, I'm 175cms tall, but the Burton Fish and Malolo are powder-specific boards with a flexible nose, a WAY set back stance, and a tapered shape. However, I think the minimum length board I'll be taking now is a 158.

Thanks for all the tips guys/girls. Keep em coming. I'd like to feel I'm going there as educated as possible.

Oh...what about shopping? Would I be saving myself some cash buying a camera in Japan? I've heard that while some cameras aren't loads cheaper, they DO have newer models that aren't available in Australia yet.

Fish is big enough at 156, on all accounts. Same nose area as a 168 Canyon supposedly. Far more nimble too! :p

For more information, please write to

Mr. T. Haakonsen

Norway

Quote:
Originally posted by L0G1c:
I'm not there to drink,

Oh...what about shopping? Would I be saving myself some cash buying a camera in Japan? I've heard that while some cameras aren't loads cheaper, they DO have newer models that aren't available in Australia yet.
NOT drinking? You mad?

You'll need to go to Sapporo for the choice. BicCamera opposite Stellar Place. And pickup some gear on sale while you're there.

L0G1c, I'm 178cm's and I've ridden a 158 & 164 (on DUMP days) The 158 got me through the usual 20-30cm daily dumps fine. When doing the peak and other deep spots the longer board came in handy, But I also did it on the 58 a few times. Tried my 168 on a mega dump and it was great but on piste it sucked so I'd go for a 162-64 for an all round board.

buy a camera before you go. There is a decent store in Kutchan I think it's called 'best' from memory. But unless you speak japanese not many of the sales clerks know english so you may struggle to find out anything about what you're buying. And it's no cheaper.

Also another tip-

- If you're planning to take lots of cash (which you should), make sure you get it changed at a bank in Australia before you leave. Do NOT take Australian Dollars because the exchange rate in Japan is far lower there than it is here (~10Yen).

- There is no ATM in niskeo but there is one relatively close-by.

Finally, if you have time go check out rusutsu and niseko moiwa

Quote:
Originally posted by snosurf:
buy a camera before you go. There is a decent store in Kutchan I think it's called 'best' from memory. But unless you speak japanese not many of the sales clerks know english so you may struggle to find out anything about what you're buying. And it's no cheaper.

Also another tip-
- If you're planning to take lots of cash (which you should), make sure you get it changed at a bank in Australia before you leave. Do NOT take Australian Dollars because the exchange rate in Japan is far lower there than it is here (~10Yen).
- There is no ATM in niskeo but there is one relatively close-by.

Finally, if you have time go check out rusutsu and niseko moiwa
I've found cameras in Japan to be much cheaper than in Aus. I usaully do my electronics shopping at Bic Camera or Yodabashi in Sapporo. Best Genki in Kutchan is ok although the range is limited and not as cheap as in Sapporo.

The nearest ATM to Niseko is in Kutchan at the post office. Use the machine on the left side (there are two machines as you walk in). Make sure you have a normal shaped card though as it won't work with some of the newer shaped cards like the Virgin one that has one corner tapered off. The best thing to do is just bring plenty of cash for your daily needs.
 Quote:

The nearest ATM to Niseko is in Kutchan at the post office. Use the machine on the left side (there are two machines as you walk in). Make sure you have a normal shaped card though as it won't work with some of the newer shaped cards like the Virgin one that has one corner tapered off. The best thing to do is just bring plenty of cash for your daily needs. [/QB]
The ATM on the right hand side also works :p