Hey wow, one of the pictures on the photo page of this lodge is the same as one of the pictures on the new Minakami Now! page.

Latest addition to the database of places to stay.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/9/373.html#000000

Its in Gunma.

From the lodge website

Tanigawa.jpg

From the brand new Minakami Now page

MinakamiNow_18.JPG

I had never heard of Minakami before it hit the Now! radar screen. And heres a place to stay in Minakami. Really, you couldn't buy marketing like that.

• SnowJapan Admin

Minakami is a very popular town in northern Gunma. It is home to about 10 snow resorts, including Tenjindaira.

We thought it would be a really good addition to our Now pages, and would happily introduce other Now pages to the site if we thought they were justified and we were able to find people willing to take the time (and agree to our conditions) to post reports every single day.

Can you see any mention of any business on the Minakami Now page? No, you can't.

You might see one or two other Minakami hotels coming online in the future. Perhaps it is because they are happy to see their area getting some spotlight. Or perhaps we should not allow them online (for some reason).

The photos were given to us to use on the page as an intro to Minakami. Do you see any credits or ads on those photos? No, you don't.

I'm not exactly sure what your main point is, but if there is a problem, what might it be?

Thanks slow \:\) I am learning about new places all the time. It didn't interest me much when I lived there but with new things in mind, it does now.

Quote:
Originally posted by mina2:

Minakami is a very well known ski and onsen town in Honshu. The fact that you had not heard of it means sod all.

ooo, touchy little boy. I hadn't heard of your town and you got all sulky. Loser. Truth be told, seeing the face in that picture a week ago I was glad to have belatedly learnt of it.

Either way, I think you missed the point.

SJ1 - no problem. Just an observation.

As I said, it means sod all! The point of your post is not clear just seems to be trying to cause some fuss here. SJ perhaps in future you don't want to consider adding cool stuff to the site for fear of being accused of all sorts by your readers. Sad.

Quote:
Originally posted by mina2:
SJ perhaps in future you don't want to consider adding cool stuff to the site for fear of being accused of all sorts by your readers. Sad.
Interesting word: Reader. Since 2002 you managed 500 posts. Don't get me wrong, post count is not the measure of a man by any means, but it is certainly indicative of his chosen level of transactional engagement.

You are reader.

Many of us are contributors. Contributors of flow, traffic, forum content and character.

You do not have the same understanding of reciprocity.

ps - don't try and use what I posted to support you gutless griping cry of "ooo, he doesn't appreciate the cool features that SJ worked so hard on". Its a sure bet way to drum up a bit of serfdom support from the one-liner thoughtless masses. And it is also factually wrong. Who's idea do you think the cool Google satellite maps were? Who gave input to the new cool review section? Who's contributed to the cool review section? Who was starting a free contribution of north-south Japanese snow density analysis? Don't point your bony poor bastard finger of "he doesn't appreciate" at me in the hope of an easy superficial character assassination.

I agree Creek Boy.

A few more things that are beyond me:

> why some people (just a handful) seem to consistently take glee in (almost always unfairly from where I can see) critisizing or making snide remarks about SJ, and the way it seems any positive remarks about the site by anyone else get shot down (by those same people). If I was running the site it would piss me off right royally and I'm often amazed at the restraint shown in responses.

confused.gif

> why some people who are so obviously 'intelligent' are also apparently rather unbalanced and behave so childish so often. (Then again, what is intelligence?) wakaranai.gif

On the subject of Minakami, I've only been once but enjoyed it. They get some good snow over there probably better than over the mountain to the north. It's good that other decent places can get more exposure.

I wonder how many people think "I'll just fire up the SJ forums and see what insights and entertainment grungy-gonads and mina2 have posted this morning". I don't think I ever have. But I look forward to db's unbalanced and childish input.

Personally, if I were running a site, I'd be uncomfortable with uncritical acceptance and would simply ignore it...

"Personally, if I were running a site, I'd be uncomfortable with uncritical acceptance and would simply ignore it..."

So if you were running the site you would criticise yourself? Or you would ignore people saying nothing? Or you would agree with anyone who disagreed with you? Interesting line of argument, that...

As for DB - nothing wrong with him raising the original point...it was the disparaging tone later that wasn't clever

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I wonder how many people think "I'll just fire up the SJ forums and see what insights and entertainment grungy-gonads and mina2 have posted this morning". I don't think I ever have. But I look forward to db's unbalanced and childish input
Used to be that I came online to see what Ocean had said. But he has gone all soft ;\)

Good topic Spud \:D
  • SnowJapan Admin

Thanks for the comments.

Toque, yes, it is a good place and we saw the chance of bringing daily reports from that region to SJ readers and thought that people would find it useful. That is why we put the Minakami Now online two months ago.

Before closing this thread I want to make a few things clear. Please note that these comments are general comments, not particularly related to just the content of this thread.

We are (increasingly) not going to discuss any of our policies in public on the Forums. There are a number of reasons for this, including the fact that we would rather spend our time developing and improving the site for the benefit of everyone rather than having to deal with prolonged responses in public, and also we simply do not see why we should need to discuss such things in public and in front of thousands of people.

We also do not see why we should have to put up with continued criticisms and sarcastic remarks concerning our policies and operation. I realize that a handful of people seem to not agree with some decisions that we make, but we feel that we are running the Forums in the fairest way we feel possible and keeping the “bigger picture” in view rather than isolated incidents.

We can happily take criticism – you can email us with anything at any time and we can either fix any problems that exist or we can discuss any issues that you feel need addressing.

But we ask that anyone posting on the Snow Japan Forums please stay within the rules and guidelines that we have laid out. If you feel that you just cannot accept our policies or specific decisions, then the only solution is to refrain from posting.

You can read them here:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/6016.html

and more here

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/agree_review.html

None of this changes the way things are run around here and very probably affects only a very small number of people.

This thread is getting closed.

-----------

Feel free - of course - to talk about Minakami in another thread. \:\)