We talked about helmets a couple of weeks back, but does anyone use any other safety gear? I'm thinking about using some wrist guards and knee pads this season for the first time. What's everyone elses safety kit and what's been your experience with it?

-SJA

Nothing. Never even thought about knee caps actually. I'd be interested if many people used them.

Stoopid question maybe, but, what are wrist guards for? I've never noticed my wrists having any problem.

you can get gloves with wrist protection in them (burton & level make them).

I wear ass/hip pads. I used to ride icy Gunma pipes and if you fell you had a bruise that lasted 2-3 months! They're a habit now and keep my ass & lower back warm :p

(plus they make me look like I have a nice ass thumbsup.gif )

broke my scaphoid bone four years ago. now \:\) i use wrist protectors. don't know about level, but i think burton, like most of their stuff, is overpriced. i use a brand callled Seirus. these gloves are kind of like rollerblade wrist protectors inside a winter glove

Yea, it's easy to bust a wrist when you are snowboarding...not only from trying to break a fall, but when jibbing goes wrong, all kinds of stuff can get broken.

I'm gonna try a butt pad this year as well, more for the warmth than the protection...last year at Gala, my ass turned blue it was so cold from sitting in line at the kickers in the park!

-SJA

I've never boarded without wrist protecters because; A friend who is a seasoned boarder (close on 20 yrs) shattered both wrists. She was out of action for the best part of a year. The xrays of her wrists looked like macaroni. She wasn't doing anything extreme at the time. Dakine do some reasonable wrist protectors.

Butt pad? I've got in-built genetic arse protection. I pity you skinny, boney boarders ;\)

I went boarding with a Japanese girl a while back and she wore the thigh/ass padding. All day I gained immense pleasure from her giggles when slapping her butt with the palm of my hand. Thwack!!! Highly recommended!

Curt: She only did it 3 years ago. She had to be stretchered off the mountain.It was the first day of her holiday.When she came back to the UK they had to reset her wrists. After hearing all of this I bought some wrist guards oh and a helmet.

I think if I was visiting the park I'd wear more protection. Someone was showing me their rails scars the other day..ouch!

I haven't met anyone whoe broke thier wrists, but my cousin broke his arm snowboarding. He wasn't doing anything special really - just fell the wrong way and buyah! Broken arm...ruined my day as I was his ride home and had to leave early to take him to the hospital. I think a broken wrist would suck more than a broken arm - so i'm going wrist guard this year...

-SJA

Kneepads may be helpful when learning to boxes and rails, as one can easily try to carve on the box and find out they weren't suppose to do that.

Wristguards may be helpful when learning how to jump, as one can miss the landing ramp and try to use their wrists to break the fall.

A helmet can help in an accident occuring from all types of situations. A butt pad/crash pad/hip pad/whatever you would like to call it can also help in different areas of the sport.

Head, neck, and tailbone injuries are the most severe, so I'd definitely recommend protecting those areas.

In New Zealand the government gave free wrist guards to the rental places as they were sick of paying the medical bills for snowboarders with broken wrists. The problem however simply transferred up the arm and people started damaging their forearms due to the new (and now inflexible) stress point.

Moral of the story: Stick to skiing......