• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man pretty soon I will need a helmet just to be in this room. I had no intention of starting a war, but merely seeking peoples opinions about wearing a helmet. The fact remains that it is only an opinion, which can also be thought of as a personal choice.

As far as spud goes whatever floats your boat man. If you get off on antagonizing people you don`t know over the internet, then more power to you. But as for me I think bushpig had some great advice. Just ignore!

Hey EBC are you wearing your helmet during those onsen snowball fights. You might want to think about it. Those snowballs must be flying at 20kmh...

I agree, take it or leave it. People have been kind enough to offer both sides, and if they now want to bait you either take it or you don't.

I ride with a helmet. Take it or leave it.

Quote:
ive bonked twice on my helmute and both times they saved me from injury.
Thats almost like a Borat quote!

HAHAHAHA lol.gif

Borat-flag.jpg

I am just amazed and a bit dissapointed that my trash-fiction forum babble focusing on the "personal choice" term caused so much hell to break loose. It was never intended to be antagonising beyond laughing at the entire internet debate on helmets vs not helmets which on every forum I have seen boils down to it being a politically correct "personal choice" (like toilet paper softness and what you do with your snot after picking your nose). Of course its a damn personal choice. What I childishly poke fun at is the fact that so much heartfelt belief is behind the topic. The reaction to my clear piss-take confirms this.

It's all quite unbelievable.

Like I suggested - the helmet debate participants should get the sticks out of their uptight butts. I have worn a helmet since day one and only recently have started to leave it at home. But I never got around the place re-assuring myself that it was a special personal choice that I had exercised and that my decisions should be respected on that basis. I just did what I bloody well wanted to do, and didn't give a care about 'the debate'.

None of it was a dig at any individual.

Regarding the entire multi-series, multi-thread bun fight thats been going on around here that most people seem to blame on me: one of the only sensible objections I have read was skidaiski reminding me about manners - fairly noted. The rest was pretty much knee jerk psychotic.

My god.

ps - please stop accusing SJ1 of showing me special treatment. It is unfair on him, especially considering the constraint he correctly shows in defending himself when he could quite easily prove that in fact the opposite of special treatment exists.

>multi-thread bun fight thats been going on around here that most people seem to blame on me

sure makes people feel better by point the blame somewhere else when in reality it lies within. Some people just cant take a joke, and whether or not it can be implied through the net is a diff story, many of us were pissing ourselves at the match going back in forth, not just the last episode but in general, because they dont know the attitudes and sarcasm of those online here \:\)

Ditto that it sucks for SJ#1, like he doesnt have better thangs to do that babysit crybabies :rolleyes: Gawd, Id piss myself if this place became like tgr lol.gif

Started wearing a helmet last season after a tree swished by a little too close. Problem is I can't take it off... er, what I mean is that I can no longer ride without it. Even on those days when I'm just planning on mucking about waiting for the lady to catch up on-course. As I'm about to leave it in the car I suddenly think how stupid I would feel if I were to finally hit my head for the first time without it and the beanie gets left instead.

The other fun thing with my helmet (Giro 9) is that it whistles when I hit a certain speed... when it stops whistling again, I know I am probably going too fast, so it protects me even before I do the collision thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Very entertaining. I'd nearly forgotten!

Perhaps it's the lack of the bonk bonk or the excitement of a stick up one's arse that's just too much for some. With a name like ys you'd think he'd know when someone is taking the piss.

On topic-

"Helmets are good" - they make you feel invincible.

I'm wearing one right now.

:-)

awh...i was tiptoe'ing and everything!

Upto? unfortunately not a hell of alot of boarding! NZ's season here was very average. But i did try out Mt cheeseman last season - is mr & mrs Cheeseman still on here?

but i am in jland for a wedding in july so thought i'd see what's up?

looks as tho db's not givin up his fav off snow sport..

Cheesecouple are making themselves quite scarce here these days. Too bad your trip to J-land is not during the snow season, I've heard the snow there is much better than NZ's so you could have had a treat. No worries though, there's still plenty of time for you to check that out. You might like to touch base with some cool Tokyo SJ forum members while you are there, like Slow and Sunrise.

Cheers and stay cool.

For awhile Id been debating whether or not to wear a helmet but after reading this thread for a bit I decided that I would at least buy one so that I have the option to use it or not.

Going to Happo this weekend and gonna give it (Giro 9.9) a look see.

• 11 months later...

I guess I'm one of those few people here that doesn't wear a helmet regularly. The only time I wear a helmet is when I go through the trees in the backcountry, which is rare for me. The only reason I bought one is cuz I got a gash from a tree branch one day and that pretty much convinced me to buy one specifically for that type of riding.

If safety is a concern though, I recommend getting one. I have a Giro s4, the cheapest one they make I think and its not bad, but people head's have different contours and circumferences....I recommend you go to shop and try some on to find your size.

I am a HELMET TRUE BELIEVER!

We made our kids use a helmet, and Dad used a helmet -but the Mamabear was initially going with the family as the hot chocolate maker...so I had no gear when I arrived on trip one. I got some lessons without a helmet. Trip two - still no helmet...although I was getting the evil eye from the Papabear.

Trip 3 we took the cubs again - so I relented and bought the helmet...I was concerned as I HATE stuff around my head/face. But half way down the first run with the helmet I thought - whew! I will never ride without it again!! Talk about a heat preservation advantage - and it sure gave me the confidence to go a bit faster...

Our littlest cub was trying to do a manual at Thredbo this past August and caught his toe edge as he came down - he scorpioned in a big way. The heel edge of his board SMACKING into his helmet so hard it knocked him senseless for a few minutes. Upon closer inspection he has a chunk out of the back of his helmet - I can only imagine with horror what the result would have been had he NOT been wearing a helmet. I would say the day would have ended in a Heli-vac for the 8 yr old bear cub, instead of a hot chocolate and churro in the coffee shop!

Even if you - as an adult - choose not to wear a helmet - MAKE YOUR KIDS WEAR THEM!

I've always said helmet. But you have these freedom dudes who say they have more of a freedom feel if they don't bcket their bonce. Up to them, but for my family and friends, helmet or no go. My freinds always see my way 'cos my nagging means I care. ;\)

I don't use a helmet. I would if I did some BC riding but I guess I feel its safe on the pistes, and thats really where I'm gonna be till I get much better. Accidents could happen I suppose, but I could also get run down crossing the road...its the risk I decide to take.

i have battered my bonce a few times on some of the great Scottish ice that passes for a snow resort, all they way down hill, obtuse angle, onto my back, whiplash in the neck....the whole shebang!!!

Maybe I should get one??!! shifty.gif ;\)

nah screw it

So far there is no law to make it mandatory - unlike pushbike riding in Australia (which I also have difficulty with accepting) - so you and others like you are quite within rights to ride without one Tubby.

One of the men in our party is very experienced and he chooses to ride with a free head...that is all well and good - but it meant we DID get complaints from HIS son, and our older son's about having the wear one. He let his son go without a helmet, and that then had our older ones screaming foul even louder.

We stood firm.

We will continue to stand firm.

And there are enough fantastic riders/skiers out there now who DO use helmets for us to point at and keep our kids feeling like they are not taking the 'special needs' way out IYKWIM...

I do however (and maybe it is just Australia - maybe just Thredbo on the days I was there) feel that boarders are much more likley to be seen wearing a helmet than skiers... Is it just my faulty perception - or is that the case?