Not sure how many of you out there are covering your noggin, but I'm thinking about getting a helmet this year and just wanted to see what kind of comments everyone has.

1)What's your opinion, helmet or no helmet?

2) Any recommendations? I know that in the end it comes down to fit, but has anyone got any major complaint with one helmet or another. Any amazing features i should know about?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

going helmet for the first time this year. Borrowed Cbs Darth Vader helmet for a few days last year and decided to get my own for this season thumbsup.gif I found the Giros fit my head the best. Got a Giro 9. Definitely gotta just try a heap on and see.

Skier, yes or no

Boarder, probably

If you ski exclusively on groomers, don't see much point unless you're kamikaze, extremely accident prone, or worried about others running into you (which is a reasonable concern)

It does add a bit of (perhaps false) confidence, that can make some people either more dangerous or better skier/boarders.

Just know that once you ski/board with a helmet, its difficult to go back.

Its really up to what and how you ski/ride.

A heavy helmet isn't worth whatever you save over a better lighter one.

I wore a helmet one year when i kept getting concussions (yeah, I know they don't help for that but anyways). Then I went no helmet for the next 2 seasons afterwards. Then I went with a red hifi last year and loved it. I love how I don't have to wear a toque underneath it and how it keeps my goggles on in a major cartwheel. On the lift I can put my goggles up and they don't fog up thumbsup.gif

Safety-wise, it didn't really help me as the only crash I had I caught a tree branch in the face

FT- the helmet will just slow me down ya know....wind resistence.

CB-the only one that's getting tackled is your sorry ass just for being you.

BP-yeah I was looking at that helmet, looks sweet, but haven't tried one on yet. Maybe this weekend.

Tohoku-yeah I know what you mean about false confidence. I did try one a couple of times last year, and found myself less hesitant about huck off things, but maybe that was a good thing. I think I know my limits enough to know if I am going to die if I launch off something. But you never know when your following FT's lines!

yeah, well, when hot women wanna tackle me cuz my arse is so hot, then thats all good :thefinger: But you facking **** snowboarders, who cant see the length of your small **** in front of ya, get close to hittin me ya piss me off and thats when you meet the end of my BD flick lock pole!!

Now go home and fack off Fubuki! :p ;\) \:D

No, better yet, go to the states for Xmas/NYs so I dont have to see yer ugly mug! ;\)

on a positive note, hurry back here brotha, got some lines to shred

Helmets rock.

I prefer mine to a hat.

warmer, cooler.

protects from hanging tree branches and makes riding the trees a lot easier.

Holds my goggles. (beware of sun-visors.)

protects my goggles in my backpack.

tuneup earpieces (giro) are really nice if you like music. (I love trance techno on a storm day, riding alone)

foam packs out to fit, pressure points fade.

Thin balaclavas make those frigid days super comfortable.

many people talk about confidence going up, protecting from big falls, etc. Honestly, I think it's just plain convenient.

get adjustable vents. buy one that doesn't require a beanie underneath.

I agree with most people on this post.

I would even say that a helmet is definitely the best investment you can do. We are talking about your safety here. And even if you just do groomers not wearing helmet can mean your death (rocks on the side of the run, hitting hard snow/ice, hitting somebody else or being hit by somebody else, ...). Look for a helmet in rakuten, last year they were quite cheap, measure your head diameter and make sure it fits the size of the helmet, and then order it if you like it. I don't know about this year, but last year rakuten had really good deals on helmets.

when i fell on that little chute in new zealand, after they discharged me from the clinic on the mountain, i sat on a bus back down the mountain shaking and staring at disbelief at the helmet i was wearing then, i was in shock for days and just couldn't believe how much that helmet totally saved me from head injuries, or who knows what? i am so glad i was wearing a helmet that day, or else i probably wouldn't have just walked away from that with a 6 month leg injury... i'll never go near a mountain again without wearing one. that day in new zealand, was incidently the first time i EVER wore a helmet skiing, and no i didnt ski that little line BECAUSE i was wearing one.... i would have skied it anyway, and that's what scares me.

it scares me in japan how kids out there just don't wear them. it was odd in new zealand if you WERE NOT wearing one.

wear a helmet.

Helmets are a personal choice.

You cannot ask other people on a forum whether or not wear one, or be persuaded by other people to change this, so I will not write whether I use one or not, or whether I think others should use one or not.

Your safety is your safety.

Discussing which helmets fit well / are good or bad, on the other hand, is perfect for an internet forum.

It is said that RED helmets are made for big round American heads, and so often feel like a big bowling ball, whereas GIROs and Protecs sit around your head a bit more. But it all depends on your own head shape, so unless you say "Ive got a pointy triangular head, which helmet is best.." then its all a bit academic anyway.

I think white is a nice colour for helmets.

>You cannot ask other people on a forum whether or not wear one, or be persuaded by other people to change this, so I will not write whether I use one or not, or whether I think others should use one or not

just like you wont ever be persuaded to not wear pink socks.

Giro 9.9 is sweet cool.gif Fits really well and keeps my head/ears quite warm without needin a beanie. Keep that in the bag JIC.