I've searched the forums using multiple variables, but I can't find any topics regarding the price of renting snowboard gear in Hakuba. \:\)

What will it cost to rent a snowboard (+ bindings & boots)?

I've heard stories about the somewhat bad quality of rental boards and since I'll probably be snowboarding more often, maybe it's smarter to buy a good quality, cheaper (read: beginner) board.

(I live in the Netherlands, so the boards are a lot cheaper than in Japan, I reckon)

And since I'll also need a jacket and pants, how much will I pay to rent those?

Thanks!

I rented gear here a couple of times and my experience was aweful. They wax the boards, I don't know once every three seasons.

Depending on your preference - you might find it good or bad that they also don't tune the edges. If you are jibbing than you'll be a happy guy. If you like to bust a little 'Euro Carve' your going to be slipping out and on your face. My advice - if you MUST rent here...bring an file and some speed paste.

-SJA

I won't be doing a lot of jibbing (maybe try it once or twice...) and a non-waxed board won't get me down the hill in one piece..

I've checked out the local ski/snowboard store and they have a lot of good boards for a decent price.

But now for the clothing... how much is it to rent a jacket and pants? 'coz they're farking expensive to buy..

likewise- coming Hakuba in January and live in thailand. want to know if its worth the effort and cost to get my boots and bindings posted out, costing about 25GBP or just rent.

Draexin, when you say you've checked out the local store- is that one in hakuba yeah? any info on that would help me out a bunch, maybe pickup a new board..

Thanks in advance!!

FF,

25GBP is about 5,500 yen. If you are going to be boarding for a month - you'll probably want to bring your own kit, you'll save money.

Draexin,

Renting jacket/pants costs around 4,000 yen for a day but gets cheaper if you rent it in a multi-day or in combo with a board. It all comes down to how many days you plan to ride.

-SJA

Farmer_Fred, when I said "the local store" I meant the store here in the Netherlands.. ;\)

I'm not in Japan yet, just 3 more weeks...

Anyway, I'm planning on riding for 4 to 5 days so that will set me back at least 16000... that's over 100 Euro.. ouch.

Maybe I'll start shopping for some decent clothing here (at home) \:\)

You can get hooked up for shitty gear at the second-hand stores here for the same price taht you would rent.

I just picked up a 5-season old Morrow Todd Richards (hardly been used, still flexes like brand new) for 2000 yen, with some burton step-ins!

You can find almost anything, PLUS get some rad neon one-pieces!

I had a look for Hakuba ski rental prices a few weeks ago for friends coming in January. There is a price list which includes snowboard gear I found useful here:

http://hakubapow.com/page13/page13.html

It would be a good idea to check which rental shops are recommended and if you will get better gear by reserving ahead- they are not all created equal!