Just getting prepped guys and need some advice. I normally dont like travelling with large amounts of cash but have been reading on here about how often credit cards facilities etc are not readily available. Whats the best way to set up for Japan. Debit card, credit card, travellers cheques, cash ?????????????? I already know some of my bills will be in cash and I'll be ready for that, just not sure about the rest.

TC are safe obviously but stay cashed up too. A lot of places take credit card but you CANT count on it, nor can you count on being able to withdraw cash with a foreign credit card at the bank. Yeah, TC are safe but changing them is a hastle and you usually have to do it at a proper bank so be prepared.

I find debit and credit cards to work fine. You can get cash on them from the post office ATM. I think the max you can withdraw off a debit card is 100000 yen unless your bank has a lower limit.

I get paid in USD and I use my debit card to get all my yen.

1) cash, lots. Multiple credit cards. Carry only 2 in your wallet at a time.

2) Allow 10,000 per day for eating and drinking. Pay hotel with credit card. Pay for large meals with credit card.

3) Prepare to sob at home when the bill arrives.

one debit card is fine and one credit card if you like.

For major expenses like hotel and lift passes some places will accept your credit card but dont rely on it. Bring cash with you (I think about 50,000 should be enough) and allways keep a 3-40,000 yen in your wallet.

It is very easy to get money out from the post office ATM's but don't wait untill you are flat broke and it's 7 o'clock at night and you are dying for a beer and a good feed because you probably won't find anywhere to get cash out.

When you are down to your last 20,000 or so make sure you make plans to go to the post office during business hours, and get some cash out.

TC are so old fashioned and a real pain in the arse.

the post office in hakuba has a machine that takes foreign credit cards if you want to take out cash that way.... but don't worry about having a ton of cash on ya, japan is pretty safe, i love it here because of that. it's a cash society and people normally have lots on them... so if you run short YOU could rob THEM?!!!! eek.gif

Got to agree with Rocky here TC are the worst thing to bring to Japan.

Because Japanese banks are not to fond of foreigners just using signatures, the can and will get you to resign the slip exactly the same as it is in your password. Could take 10 to 20 times if you dont do it perfectly.

You are also playing to much interest and charges on TC's. The first time I traveled my mother forced me to taking them. Ever since I have taken cash.

actually the rate of exchange is much better on travellers cheques in most countries compared to exchanging foreign currency once you get somewhere, not a bad idea ------ but probably a total pain in the ass in japan ----- the banks here suck man, they probably don't know what a travellers cheque is. PP - i'd bring your credit card and plenty of cash.

Panhead_pete

Actually cash is still king in Japan. You had better hold some cash all the time to buy things around especially for small amount of money.

You can use your credit card (even if it's a forein issued one ) to draw some yen cash at post offices with ATM machines. Maybe some small post offices might not have any ATM machines though.

But I guess as far as you get somewhere by public transportation, you'll get to a station or bus stop, so I guess you'll have some chance to find a post office around you.

As to T/C, take some yen T/C. I don't think Auzzie dollars T/C are acceptable in some banks around ski resorts in Japan because they are usually located in countryside apart from big cities. But you need to get in some banks to change some in their business time ( 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays ) which might be inconvenient compared to drawing some yen cash by your credit card.

Good luck wave.gif

when i first moved up here into the "country side" (it hardly is but the mind set still feels that way) i had a bunch of traveler's checks. it was a total pain in the ass to change them. TOTAL PAIN IN THE ASS. they are nice to have for safety, but you won't get robbed, so unless you are absent minded, cash will be just fine. (i have seen little old ladies counting what looked like thousands of dollars on the street corner)

the post office now does Cirrus/Plus ATM international bank withdraws, and your credit card should be able to pull cash out of several different private japanese banks.

but the hakuba folks will know what their town has to offer.

cash, cash, cash and some cash just in case. I think you're pretty safe carrying cash, just use common sense. I saw an old kimono clad lady in a Tokyo cafe take out her purse to pay the bill. It was like an old school cloth pencil case, stuffed to the gills with Yen. It was a brick of cash, well over an inch thick, it stood up by itself on the table. eek.gif

I also prefer cash as it's cheaper; I have been exchanging £'s for Yen for the past three months at a commission free currency exchange. If I use a cash point in Japan (if I can find one that works with my debit card) I'll get clobbered by a poor exchange rate and a transaction charge. If you do take cash out do it in large amounts to reduce your transaction charges. Sorry if I'm teaching grandmother to suck eggs.....oh and take some cash. ;\)

I just realised that I've admitted I'll be in Japan with loads of cash.....I'd better change my avatar........ ;\)

• 2 weeks later...

Q 1:

- I will be staying in Hirafu Village, Niseko Resort for 6 nights with 3 nights on top of that for staying over in Narita and Sapporo on the way there and back, respectively, and one more night on the plane on the way home.

If I wer to get totally drunk for those three nights, plus mildly drunk for 2 nights of the 6 night Hirafu stay, and few beers every night of the trip, How much money (en) would I be comfortable with for food&drink alone?

Also what other major expenses must I consider?

[ Summary of trip:

Night 1: Hotel near Narita Airport. - Trashed

Nights 2 ~ 7: Hirafu Village - Drink a few every night (Two of the nights Trashed)

Night 8: Hotel in Sapporo - Trashed

Night 9: Spent in Kansai Kokusai Kuukou (KIX) until 9:45pm when I will board my flight back to Brisbane. - Drink as much as it is possible without disturbing the other passengers. ]

Q 2:

How accessible is it (please be specific) to get plastered in:

(a) Narita Airport Area (Hotel? Restaurants? Bars?)

(B) Sapporo (Near Odori Park)?

© Kansai Airport (Bars? Restaurants? We have to wait 8hrs there before we depart - any other activities?)

Thanks a lot folks!

Night 1: Hotel near Narita Airport. - Trashed

Nights 2 ~ 7: Hirafu Village - Drink a few every night (Two of the nights Trashed)

Night 8: Hotel in Sapporo - Trashed

Night 9: Spent in Kansai Kokusai Kuukou (KIX) until 9:45pm when I will board my flight back to Brisbane. - Drink as much as it is possible without disturbing the other passengers

This is so easy. Charge yourself 600Y per beer. Multiply by the number of beers per day. Then double it. That would give you your beer money needs.

Alternatively, go to Seicomart on your fist day. Buy 2 trays at 99Yen per can. And go through those in 4 days.

Alternatively 2, squat next to the beer machines at the hire shop in Kogen and spend your 1000Yen notes over a 2 hour period each morning and afternoon.

You may not have much time left for the slopes though.

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
This is so easy. Charge yourself 600Y per beer. Multiply by the number of beers per day. Then double it. That would give you your beer money needs.

Alternatively, go to Seicomart on your fist day. Buy 2 trays at 99Yen per can. And go through those in 4 days.

Alternatively 2, squat next to the beer machines at the hire shop in Kogen and spend your 1000Yen notes over a 2 hour period each morning and afternoon.

You may not have much time left for the slopes though.
I was thinking a bottle of vodka or two from duty-free at Narita.

also. what are the meal prices like in Hirafu and on the mountain?

Any other major expenses I haven't covered?

you plan to eat as well?

For really cheap, there's the 100Yen ramen shop.

Normal price for a normal ramen is about 600Y

Lunch costs about 1000Y with a drink.

Dinner about 3000Y depends on where you eat.

I always allow myself 10,000 per day spending money.