This may sound minorly n00bish, but anyway:

I'm heading to Niseko staying in a pension in Hirafu village from 24th ~ 30th Dec.

My friend (who hasn't been boarding there before, nor have I) thinks I should get "Moonboots" AKA boots with thick sole, waterproofing and insulation.

Then I was talking to another guy who has been boarding for years, (been to Niseko half a dozen times) and he reckons I will be fine with decent shoes.

Now, we're gonna be eating out everynight etc, so we will be walking around the village alot.

What's your recommendation on footwear, SJ?

definitely get some (nagagutsu) boots that will cover your pants and keep snow/water out. I had a pair up there and even then they didnt do the trick sometimes cuz of ice. Try to find a pair which has some small spikes on the bottom for ice. I loved walking out of the dorm going to work/ski and it was so deep that snow got in my boots \:D

Might be nice having a pair but since youre there for just a week...is it worth it? Can you get em cheap?

the chick at the local Snowbiz said I can pick up a pair for AU$70...

Prob last me a fair bit, and it comes with insulation... but as you said, CB, I too have experienced wetting of the inside as soon as i got onto ice, before.

Mmmm, might just get some rubber nagagutsu when I'm up there.(considering the price)

for six days fark who cares. 70 bucks for 6 days no way. If you can pick up the Japanese 1000 yen pair but for six days dont cart boots over just use your best hiking shoes or buy gay rain boots in Auz and triple sock it.

Guys we are talking 6 days come on.

You may get a bit wet but a pair of hiking boots should do. Don't worry about getting a one peice snow suit either. The less clothing you have on when it's - 10, the cooler you look.

Put simply,

One peice snow suit, moonboots and a balaclava = dork \:o

no hat, no gloves, sandals = 'cooool'. \:D

moonboots, wellies, runners....matters very little when you're slip sliding everywhere. Especially after a sake or two. Most important thing in Niseko and the like is traction on your soles. The local hypermart in Kutchan sells those wellies with cleats. Cheap and sensible.

just wear normal sneakers. after a day on the hill they feel like magic slippers. wellies are good if you're there for ages, but for a week its not worth the hassle.

suck it up and tramp around in the same shoes you wear at home. hiking boots suck in japan cos you have to take em on and off everytime you go into a house.