In the resort page of SnowJapan for daisen uenohara (in Tottori) says that the maximun slope gradient in there is 45 degrees. Anybody who has been there and can confirm it? I went there several times last year cos it's near where I live, but I don't remember anything that steep.

• SnowJapan Moderator

OK it seems the steepest slope there is being listed by the resort Daisen as a whole as 27 degrees. Whether this is something that has changed or not I'm not sure but we will make sure this resort goes top of the list to update and update it as necessary. Thanks.

• SnowJapan Moderator

The resort with the steepest - I think - is Kijimadaira in Nagano (between Nozawa and Shiga Kogen) that officially has a 45 degree slope.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resortdetail.php?resid=42

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/maps/japan-ma...ijimadaira.html

I dont even think you can go on mount fuji during the winter ( it is closed) but volcanos are often used in down hill speed tests e.g. cycling. So they have the gradient. Some of the smaller less well known resorts have 35+ but for me at least, when you hit that kind of gradient and anything happens, i.e. falling its a hell of a tough walk down.

Coldcat,

I've been to Daisen a couple of times. The champion course is the most advanced area. The pitch itself wouldn't present any major problem for a high beginner but the course is not groomed and develops very strange, unevenly spaced moguls due to the mix of bad boarders, crappy skiers and lame ski-bladers. I recall seeing a couple of runs cut into a hillside adjacent to the main area that looked conspicuously steep but they were only about 90m long and the elevation was low so they never had adequate snow cover to be in use. Daisen is strangely the most popular destination for people from Kochi, even though there are MUCH better places to ski (like hachikita in Hyogo) about the same distance away. The only reason to go there would be if you live very close and you can catch it when it's dumping on a weekday when there are no crowds... or if you want to do a little back country stuff (the mountain is a little under 2000m and drops virtually right to the Sea of Japan but the ski hill is built on the foot of the mountain.) If you're in Okayama, go to Hyogo or beyond. Even Geihoku in Hiroshima is better than Daisen. Actually, in western Japan I really like Hachikita. I've been there many times and the people are really friendly, the snow is pretty good, and the mountain has a surprising amount of fun terrain.

I like mizuho. I've never been to hyogo but i've heard is good too. Daisen is quite alright for me since I'm really close. Much closer than Mizuho or hyogo. I think daisen is fun, not really steep or anything but it's not as bad as Ger says. That's my opinion anyway.

yeah I've been here a while ger, but have never been to any places in or near kansai. The furthest east in this area I have been is a place in Okayama that used to be called Hanamiyama or Takamiyama. Sorry it was a long time ago and can't remember the name! So I can't really compare to anything in Hyogo. I would assume that the resorts out that way are bigger but I don't really have any basis for saying that. Mizuho is by far my favourite of anything in the Chugoku region.