What do they have to do with each other? I'm watching Absinthe's More and it kind of kills the mood for me when I see dudes posing like gangsters in a rap video. Not even standing on a board, just posing against a wall waving their arms with their fingers splayed in mock gang signs. Give me a break. I can enjoy the flow and beat of the music and it does fit the pace of the riding a lot of times, but let's face it snowboarding is basically a sport for people whose socio-economic situations free them from about 99% of the issues hip hop culture is centered around. I have nothing against hip hop culture but in reality nobody from any ghetto is going to have the means to participate seriously in snowboarding. Kind of hard for me to take a guy seriously when he's got on $1000 worth of name-brand outerwear and a bandana tied around his face like he's about to do a drive-by on someone, and the music in the background is talking about some black dude's hard life on the streets. What a clown. Like he's trying to be all tough but to me he just comes off as a clueless spoiled yuppie kid. Obviously some of those guys are great riders, but I think they've totally got their heads up their asses in some cases.

Not trying to be bitter here, just that the trend kind of turns me off. Anybody else?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be an age thing, but I'm inclined to agree with you GOW. The whole attitude thing with snowboarding is completely lost on me. It's a freakin' sport! Just about every other mass participation sport seems to manage to do quite well without wrapping itself up in contrived counter culture or pretending that riding down a mountain on one board instead of two imparts any kind of attitude or cache or makes a lifestyle statement.

I can understand how back in the day when resorts didn’t allow boarders or treated them differently to skiers, choosing to ride a snowboard said something about a person’s willingness to conform but geez, that was years ago. Being a boarder now is about as rebellious as becoming a CPA.

> It's a freakin' sport!

Maybe that should be "Its an expensive freakin sport!" Or even "freakin expensive sport!" Perhaps the hiphop and punk music is there to wrap the sport in cool to help you forget how much it costs.

Good to see someone not blaming this on Japanese kids. Nice one ghostofwar.

> I can enjoy the flow and beat of the music and it does fit the pace of the riding a lot of times

Give me Vivaldi or give me death!

I was in Alpen the other day on a desperate mission to find something I need (why do I keep going to Alpen in the hope of finding anything at all?) and glanced through the snowboarding gear. There was a picture of a 'dude' and I swear, the crotch of his trousers was where I have my knees, and the legs of his trousers were half way under his heels. I kept staring at the picture trying to understand what I was seeing, but it didn't make any sense.

I think it's maybe a symptom of marketing becoming unhinged from any objective reality and just beginning to float away somewhere else. It doesn't even make me angry anymore.

>the crotch of his trousers was where I have my knees, and the legs of his trousers were half way under his heels.

that description perfectly fits half the boys at my school. Its funny cuz they have no arse/bum and their pants keep falling down no matter how tight they have their belts. Watching them try to run like that to class makes me piss myself laughing sometimes.

Cant stand that style on anybody - looks dumb

Quote:
Originally posted by Rag-Doll:
Just about every other mass participation sport seems to manage to do quite well without wrapping itself up in contrived counter culture or pretending that riding down a mountain on one board instead of two imparts any kind of attitude or cache or makes a lifestyle statement.

I can understand how back in the day when resorts didn’t allow boarders or treated them differently to skiers, choosing to ride a snowboard said something about a person’s willingness to conform but geez, that was years ago. Being a boarder now is about as rebellious as becoming a CPA.
is snowboarding a mass participation sport? (in my jhschool english classes my teacher insists i say 'i like skiing', as these city students don't know about snowboarding!)

i don't think snowboarding has wrapped itself up in counterculture - as you said, it was a counterculture & many people like to embrace that fact.

& i bet plenty of CPAs enjoy snowboarding holidays this winter!
 Quote:
Originally posted by merryJim:
Another reason I'm switching to skiing ;\)
Why? because your pants got too tight? :p

Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with hiphop in snowboarding. There's just as much rock, punk & indie in the scene. The first post of this thread refers to More and the Salt Lake City rails segment. If you've ever watched a Finger on da trigger video (Tech nine) which is put out by the SLC crew, it's all bandannas and hiphop (pretty good stuff mixed by MFM). While I personally hate the bankrobber bandana look done by Aaron Bitner & others, whatever, it's all part of snowboarding. The Forum riders do a better job of mixing hiphop with their riding.

BTW I bet there are hiphop skiers too, so all those comments about snowboarders having super baggy wear, listening to hiphop, having rags hanging out of their back pocket etc apply to new school skiers too.

I agree that section didn't fit with the rest of More, and kind of spoiled the whole thing. I was pretty disappointed the first time I watched it, and now just pick chapeters instead of watching the whole theing (the editing / section order sucks this year). Absinthe has the slogan 'full spectrum snowboarding' but I wish they'd stick to what makes their dvds great (the other sections of bc freestyle) and leave Bitner and his wannabe gangsters in the rail/urban specific flicks like the Technine ones mentioned by Kuma.

As for why hiphop has a presence in snowboarding...

Partly it is that the rhythm fits riding quite well, but also the attitude - i guess it's that badass 'I don't give a fck' feeling that matches throwing yourself off big shit and feeling like you might die (plenty of Biggie in snow and skate vids). That's just music though... the posing and other crap comes in the realm of culture.

If you say snowboarding "is just a sport" you are really missing the point. (I think the same would go for skiing too).

Snowboarding WAS a counter-culture, and still retains aspects of that in it's culture - for example it encourages people to choose a lifestyle of temporary or 'unworthwhile' employment in order to maximise time on the snow. The culture of doing seasons as a snow bum in order to reach the standard of being a pro is hardly following social etiquette.

However it is also a multi-billion dollar industry, with massive amounts of marketing and advertising, that is economically vibrant.

So snowboarding is simultaneously big business, marketed as 'counter-culture' and also for a significant few people, real counter culture.

I think this mirrors hip-hop culture in its structure of producers and consumers of culture.

For the guys in that section, I guess the parallels between current hip hop and snowboarding would be - a beligerent attitude towards danger, injury or possible death (no bum pads, spine protectors or helmets for them); a get rich and famous quick by taking risks attitude; and baggy pants!

But I do find it funny that they can take themselves seriously like that!

It doesn't really fit in such a ridiculously expensive activity (although as pros, or up an coming riders they will get free gear, scam lift tickets and sleep on each other's couches - they are just used to make other people pay 1000$s for their kit).

Good hip hop section in snow vid:

Nico Muller opening section in Vivid to Busta.

Bad section:

This one!