I gave my old snowboard to a friend of mine who is just starting snowboarding. I figured that even if it's not in great condition he can make good use of it since he is just starting. I guess he is just happy to get it for free but I'm concerned cos he has rather large feet (30cm) and the boots do stick out of the board. He is learning now so I don't think it's a good idea to buy a new board, but I was wondering what bad effects can have those boots sticking out of the board? You guys think we should be concerned about it or it won't make that much of a difference for a beginner?

depending on how much they stick out, they can drag in the snow, and make for a very unpleasant learning experience. They will be sliding, try to use their edge, and stop VERY suddenly, and eat pooh.

Eating pooh excessively is not enjoyable, nor will it foster a motivation to continue learning snowboarding.

Beginners won`t be railing a board in a carve or anything, they should only be using enough edge to stop and go on a mellow slope.

Put the boots into the bindings and see how much of an angle you can get before the toes or heel touch. If it is under 30 or 40 degrees, it might cause problems.

If it is so, i suggest looking for wider boards at the recycling centers. Get a cheap old battleship, it doesn`t matter too much if you are beginning, and then if your friend likes it, he can invest in a good one.