just treated myself to some new bindings; Salomon Relay Series. Only tested on the tatami so far. They have 2 features that made me take the plunge;

1.Toe Cap. Last year I bodged a set of Technine toe cap straps on to my bindings. They weren't great but were soooo much better than bog-standed toe straps. Salomons have them. thumbsup.gif They work as normal toe straps (up and over) or as cap straps.

2. Soft heel cup. There's a steel cable that runs from the mid sole of the base plate up back around and above the heel. When you tighten your ankle strap this helps pull the soft (soft as in flexible) heel cup around the heel of you boot. My boots feel really well fitted when I tighten them up. The heel is really pinched into the bindings. There are steel rods that run the lentgh of each side of each binding to give it lateral strength.

I'll do a gear report when I've put them through their paces (less than a month to go).

The only downside is they're white \:o

If money is not an issue go for the Burton P1's. Most staff in board shops seem to rate them the highest. If you're on a bit of a budget you can't go wrong with the old faithful Missions. I had a set for 4 seasons and they are just a good,solid value for money binding. I bought the new custom brews last week. Can't wait to try them out at Hakuba come Jan 8th!

What I mean by struggle to find L size is if you went to the average ski shop and for example said I specifically want Burton P1s in red/black in L size the shop wouldn't have that binding 95% of the time. Of course you can get L size of some kind of model in most shops but if you want a specific model/colour combo you struggle. I've been having this problem for years in Japan not only with bindings but shoes, too

shoes, yes. bingings no. You're talking about Burton! The market is flooded with L size bindings (and everything else Burton). If you're in Tokyo, just go to Kanda and you'll find that 100% of the stores have L sized bindings