...always seems to drag on doesn't it? You know, from the first snow to arrive then it melting, sj launching all their new goodies, and then people anxiously waiting for the real snowfalls to come and the season to kick off proper.

Let's patience.

As long Jan 3 has plenty of pow then thats all the matters, remember I am the powder magnet (13 out of the past 14) days at last count, we I come there will be snow.

last year was last year this year is this year and 2 years ago it didnt snow until until nearly Xmas

iwatake24hh.jpg

look at the date on that photo, snow can be fickle stuff, better mak an offering to Ullr the snow god to make sure.

forty10ld.jpg

you dont want this this season! yikes!

SG:Those shots above bring back memories. \:\(

That season two years ago gave me the fear. I arrived in Japan for three weeks on the 19th December. No snow in NW Tohoku, just rain. Resorts were closed. My brother in law then told me that the year previously some of the slopes didn't open until Jan 7th. I was gutted.

Then it started dumping; I spent Christams day on lovely fresh powder, and it pretty much snowed for the rest of my trip.I do hope it doesn't go to the wire again as I am going for 3 weeks this Christmas (I have learned my lesson and am going a week later) and I can't stand the fear. Web cam shots of sasa and brown fields are no fun \:D

So yes make your offerings (I will definitely be visiting the local temple at New Year hopefully to give thanks to a bountiful harvest)

SG - good point. There seem to be a few people already saying stuff like this season's a late starter, but I guess they've been spoiled by last year. We still have 2 days of November to go.

Sure, I'd love it if there was loads of snow everywhere already, but I'm really not ready yet and for most places to be operating fully before Xmas would be fine for me. For those Aussies turning up early on cheap packages at Niseko - good luck. You had ample warning...

there's plenty to do in Niseko besides skiing.

There's the onsen,

the early morning real estate tour,

the mid afternoon pub crawl,

the evening pub crawl,

the visit to MaxValu on the free shuttle,

the list is endless.

Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Sexy:
I want it now.. but i need a few week more earning money for winter.
I think I can help you out there sweetie \:D

Just kidding...

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
there's plenty to do in Niseko besides skiing.

There's the onsen,
the early morning real estate tour,
the mid afternoon pub crawl,
the evening pub crawl,
the visit to MaxValu on the free shuttle,

the list is endless.
I tend to agree, thursday....

watching the cricket one-dayers at yuki bar
stealing snow-ploughs for joy rides
visiting ice-bars and fridge bars
slipping on the ice out the front of seicomart
searching out the best burgers in town

Seriously, this is not cool, in both senses of the word.

People say `oh, every year is different`, but that was not always true.

Back in BC 20 years ago, you could count on Fernie openin by Rememberance day, and my home hill of Kimberly opening roughly 2 weeks later.

EVERY YEAR.

sure, there was the odd low snow year, but it was relatively stable and predictable.

Now every year is different, fluctuating pretty wildly from opening dates to amouts of snow.

My only season in Whistler was 2 seasons ago, when they had the worst show year in 25 years (after an epic season the year before).

At the biginning of the season everyone was saying `Oh, don`t worry, the snow will come`.

Well, it didn`t. The rain came, the -20 blubird days came, but no snow.

I am taking nothing for granted this year, given the fukked-up state of the world climate.

Yeh flipside, I was referring to hirafu village....

I should add, some of the 'things to do' were tongue-in-cheek whilst others are actally quite amusing things to do.

I was in Whistler during the 2004/2005 'Season from Hell'....soooooo disappointing. Typical though...