• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't sleep horizontally in your car, I would bring a tent and pitch it next to your car. Two of us did that last year, while our friend stayed in the hotel. We were cold and we were woken up at 5 AM when people started arriving. Plus we looked like a couple of dorks, camping in the parking lot! To redeem ourselves in the morning, we cranked the car stereo and opened all the doors, trying extra hard to look 'cool' on our lawn chairs eating breakfast. We stayed in the hotel the next night, having realized that our third friend was much smarter than we are. It's hardly worth the few thousand yen that you save.

I can't sleep in small cars without a full bed.

Luckily I've got the hiace with the deck in the back, everything goes underneath (boards etc) Camping in your car when you can stretch out just like your bed at home is fine..

maybe I'll post some pics if I can find some.

There is a full size double bed in the back of my little black VW van pictured on the first page. When I lived in Vic during the summer I used to go and surf at Bells and Winki etc and stay at the Torquay caravan park across the road from the pub. When I was at the pub once I picked up which is quite rare for me and I told the girl it was cool as I had a van across the road and we could hang out there as it was less noisey. I'm pretty sure by the look on her face when we got there she was expecting a nice big caravan \:\) Wished I had the extra body warmth at Mansfield etc.

Whooo, I never thought that this thread would go that long.

Many thanks for all the info guys and gal, its more than I have hoped for.

Spud, have you ever tried to sleep with this nice cute mask you see all the people wear in the trains etc in Japan, to keep your nose from freezing and also not to directly inhale cold air?

Ebc, if you are willing to camp with me in the tend and maybe share the sleeping bag (don’t think dirty, its about keeping each other warm ;\) ), I don’t mind camping at the top.

Kuma, uniqulo PJ`s are up next on my things to buy list.

Soub, that’s a good point. Just in case I will keep an empty bottle with me. If it happens and some other fellow SJ member gets a ride in my car, always ask before you have a sip from my Uroncha bottle. :p

SubZero, I have a down SB so getting an inner sheet sounds like a good idea. Do you use a sheet designed for SB`s or you just bring one from home and fold it in two? I guess all that condensed vapour on the inside of the car can be translated as water that my body lost overnight. So probably you mast take a lot of water so that you don’t get dehydrated.

The car is a Toyota funcargo, so it is not very big, but you can completely hide the back sits under the floor of the car, so you can create a flat about 2 tatami area from the trunk door to the front sits. I am also not tall, only 171 cm so I can fit in that space well enough to be comfy.

zozpp0rb.jpg

stick your board sideways across the frontseat and put your boots in front of the vents.

If you're going to the Naeba area, I used to sleep in a truck stop a bit before you get to the resort. It was a big parking lot with a bathroom.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
If you're going to the Naeba area, I used to sleep in a truck stop a bit before you get to the resort. It was a big parking lot with a bathroom.
Hey, I remember that place! \:\)
Its on your left hand on the 17th national road, as you drive up towards Naeba.
Last combini before wilderness is a Lausons.

Conbenis are very, errr, conbenient. Truck drivers use them all the time.

The Legacy wagon is very nice. I'm 178cm, and I can just stretch out straight in the back. It's luxury accomodation compared with my old FIAT. I used to sleep in that for a month at a time on my Morocco trips.

I wasn't referring to being woken up by people...more like them looking in at my super bimbo existence lol.gif maybe I'm too self-consious.

One time me & a buddy slept in the womens outdoor changeroom at Oze Tokura (the mens didn't have a radiator). Trouble is, people showed up before we woke up! So we were all wrapped up in our sleeping bags thinking 'how the hell can we get out of here without making a scene???' The problem was, the longer we waited the more ladies were coming in, so we just jumped up, grabbed our stuff and ran out lol.gif

hahahahaha

lol.gif

Nice car Tsondaboy. Reminds me a lot of my Honda Element back home. Japanese car makers seem to be the only ones these days who make cars with fully flat floors in the back.

And to add to subzero, a futon is just about the worst thing to use to separate your from the floor. It just becomes one big sponge. You may be alright for one night, but I would spend the 1000 yen on one of those blue foam mats with silver on one side.

good topic.

thanks for all the experiences related! I think I'll go for the womens' changing rooms.

My plan for 'car camping' was going to be one or two of those foil covered mats (got already - they are cheap), my thermarest, and either down bag with a new goretex cover bag, or a big synthetic bag rated down to low temps but hopefully not too expensive as it can be as bulky as you like (to be left in the car for emergencies - i'm not sure i'd want to leave my down in the car that much).

But that shouldn't so often as I'm going to put on my home made Toque mask and body hair wig, and crawl into bed with FT to keep warm! lol.gif

'SubZero, I have a down SB so getting an inner sheet sounds like a good idea. Do you use a sheet designed for SB`s or you just bring one from home and fold it in two?.'

Get one especially made for a SB (or stitch one up yourself from an old bed sheet). Using a folded sheet would be more trouble than it's worth.

As said above, if you wanna use the futon for padding, definitely get a cheap thermal mat to insulate it from the car interior, otherwise you will freeze e.g. down works when it is lofted, trapping body heat between the feather fibres, the down underneath you doesn't loft because it is compressed by your body, hence the need for a thermal mat. Many mountaineers carry two mats - a closed cell mat for thermal efficiency and a thermal air mat (e.g. Thermarest) on top for increased thermal efficiency and increased comfort.

The closed cell mat is also good to stand on when getting changed, etc.

Closed cell pads are next to impossible to find in Japan

At least I never found any and I was looking

Closed cell pads are usually yellow

Most outdoor shops only stock the blue foam pads with the foil layer on top. These are not good enough for snow as some of us have found

If you plan on sleeping in more than one parking lot for more than one night, consider customizing your heaters. I ran mini hoses down from under my heating duct in my old truck, this gave me custom hoses to plug into boots and gloves, which makes for a sick road-trip rig.

perhaps a pain in the bum for you now... perhaps not.