What's the deal with these "Japan Fit" goggles?

Oakleys here all have a sticker on the box that says "Japan Fit" on it. Another brand (Dragon?) has a label that says "Asian Fit." What does this mean?

My first (admittedly stupid) thought was that the goggles are made to accommodate Asian people's slanted eyes, but that's completely ridiculous... isn't it?

Anyone know what this is about?

Quote:
Originally posted by ghostofwar:

My first (admittedly stupid) thought was that the goggles are made to accommodate Asian people's slanted eyes, but that's completely ridiculous... isn't it?
hahahahaha

No seriosuly, Asian fit means they are much prettier and therefore not suited to westerners.

Actually, i just bought a pair of Oakley Wisdoms on sale (the asian fit) and they seem fine. And i have a fair-sized schnoz too. At any rate, the foam will pack out a bit too.

How much are you getting yours for? I got mine for a little over a man.

Don't remember the exact price, but I think it was about 1.4man. Doesn't seem that unreasonable by Japanese standards seeing as they sell for about $100 in America.

I can try them on in the store, but it's not really the same as riding with them. If they are supposedly tighter in the nose, it might be the kind of thing I wouldn't realize until I leave them on for a few hours and then they start to hurt.

last year's oakleys are 30% off at xebio.

it's not a matter of your nose starting to hurt (loosen the straps if it does lol.gif ), it's to check if air can get in anywhere. Asians have smaller noses so when they wear western goggles the nose space lets air come in and they can't see anything

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
 Quote:
Originally posted by ghostofwar:

hahahahaha

Yes, it is.

No seriosuly, Asian fit means they are much prettier and therefore not suited to westerners.
lol.gif Thats the best comment i've read for ages.
Must be a british thing.

Your fit, but oh my don't you know it

marketing ploy

or maybe i've got my mom's nose not my dad's.

but the "asians" and the "japanese" all go for it anyway. last time i looked on a map, japan was part of asia. ah, japan, economic miracle of the late 20th century

On Oakley Wisdom's, the 'asian fit' designation means it has a raised section of foam around the nose slot. I have both 'asian' and normal fit Wisdoms sitting here in front of me... I can't wear the 'asian' model because it prevents me from breathing through my nose properly. However, they fit my wife (Japanese) perfectly.

Try before you buy, everyone's face is different.

T.

Don't know about Oakleys, but I have tried to find a decent pair of skiing shades and goggles here in the past and the overwhelming majority of them sit so high on my nose that they don't cover the lower half of my field of vision (sunglasses) or the foam hits my lower eye lids (goggles).

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone should check out Yahoo Auctions! Oakley Wisdoms and Crowbars are going for about 8750 yen. NEW!

Finshed Crowbar auction

The seller; Oakley Japon\'s Listings

starts most of his auctions at 100yen.

I am up for a pair but really need to make sure the "Japan Fit" is ok.

Have heard good things about the Crowbars, amazing field of vision, peripheral and vertical, and they match most helmets well, might head off to Sports Authority later on and do a test fit. I just about choked at the price when I first saw them there....a lot of stuff is sold on Yahoo Stores for near half price compared to the shops, once you go auction you'll never go retail again.

Cheers!