My wife and I are planning a ski trip to Japan in late February/early March 2007. Since we received some very good tips when we went to Niseko last year, I will rely on this board for this winter's trip.

We are currently thinking of either Hakuba or Yuzawa, as the two destinations appear to be within easy access from tokyo (via Shinkansen).

Which would you recommend?

We are looking for decent snow, plenty of beginner/intermediate runs (my wife is a novice), (traditional or western) bars for night life and onsen.

Pros for Yuzawa are:

1. appears to have more night life/bar

2. more easier slopes

Pros for Hakuba are:

1. Nozawa onsen is in the area

I would like to hear from you guys.

Even I know some rather large mistakes in that info:

>>> Hakuba has more "nightlife".

>>> Nozawa is not close to Hakuba.

Even though Hakub is a bit further, if you are doing a trip of more than a few days, the travel distance isn't really an issue I would have thought.

Dude, why would you go to Nozawa Onsen if you were already in Hakuba?

I've never actually stayed over in a resort (always a day-tripper), but I heard that there is actually some nightlife around Naeba (Yuzawa). No idea about Hakuba, although EBC or FT should be able to give you some idea there.

Yuzawa has Onsen. Both have plenty of easy slopes. The Hakuba area is bigger though, so if you are novices, you'll find more in the way of resort runs there, so go to Hakuba.

What Two pints is trying to tell you is that Hakuba has better nightlife than Yuzawa.

Also there are plenty of beginner areas in Hakuba too.

If your only plus point for Hakuba is that its close to Nozawa onsen then why don't you go Nozawa instead...its definitely closer to Nozawa!!