You will definitly have to get your ski legs back

Even though you might want to go hard the first coule days it's always best to keep them short

I don't think I ever got my resort legs last year. Even in March a day of deep powder in resort was difficult

These two are quite linked I think. Seasons that I was not working out, it took me more than 4-5 times to reach the level of the last day in the previous season. Mostly because I don’t have the strength to puss it hard enough from the first days. Seasons that I do work out, it doesn’t take me more than 2-3 days on the slopes to pick it up from were I left it.

coldcat, nobody is reading what you've written, but fortunately I know what you're asking. It was a big concern of mine at the start of my second season. I remember wondering if I'd have to start learning everything again. I decided to take an aggressive approach and act as though I could really snowboard on my first run. So I had a very disappointing first run with lots of flopping about in the snow.

But when I stopped thinking about it, the muscle memory was still there, and not only was it reliable, all the thinking about snowboarding I'd been doing in the interim seemed to have honed it somewhat. (There's a very good introduction to the skill of 'image training' in "Thats Ocay XX Time Is on Our Side" by Geoffrey Norman, explaining how American POWs in Vietnamese prisons went sailing and played golf in their heads to pass the time, and discovered afterwards that they had improved considerably.)

So to sum up, I'd say it's best to think about it now in advance, and as you strap in for your first run, stop thinking about it and rely on your muscles.

(Oh, and standing on a step and cranking yourself up and down on your toes 50 times a day is a good way of preventing calf soreness on your first day. But you weren't asking about that.)

I had 5 years off snow boarding and when i went back 2 years ago wondered if I would have to go through days or weeks of being a gumby, fortuneatly it was only a few hours although my courage had dissipated a lot - which isnt neccessarily a bad thing. Thats not to say I was back at my peak that quickly but I was competent.

Although I was never that good so most folks many consider me a gumby even when I am riding as well as I ever have \:\)

Ocean11, thanks clap.gif

It's actually not my second season, but last season was the first season I could really start to be satisfied with my technique. So yeah, I was wondering how it would be at the beginning of the season.

Don't know how it is for skiiers, but after a run or two, I've pretty much recovered most of my snowboarding skills. It gets better the more you've become habituated to it - I only went a few days for my first couple of snow seasons, but now that I've been pretty much blowing all my vacation days on snowdays, the relearning curve is much quicker. When I first started out, it took about a day to "get it back".

Hope that answers your question! \:\)

Yeah, it takes a bit for the fitness to displace the fatness, even after riding MTB all non-snow season... I'll probably be all noodle-legged at Whistler this coming (American) Thanksgiving weekend, but I should be good for Hokkaido in December.

Last season, I found my legs were killing me by mid afternoon. Definitely due to fitness problems.

Since September I've been cycling and hiking to tone the legs. Have noticed a sharp improvement when running up the stair now.

from Ocean11

"(There's a very good introduction to the skill of 'image training' in "Thats Ocay XX Time Is on Our Side" by Geoffrey Norman, explaining how American POWs in Vietnamese prisons went sailing and played golf in their heads to pass the time, and discovered afterwards that they had improved considerably.)"

I've always believe that. Even when golfing, I run through the shots time and again while travelling to the course.

Now I'm doing this for the slopes, picturing the shape of my body while going through the turns. Let's see if this works in December.