Here's the deal. I am about to buy a helmet cam plus the required camcorder. Its a lot of money, especially considering I already own a much better camcorder, except it doesn't have an AV In jack as required by the helmet lens. Its costing a lot of money!

So here the deal:

1. I buy it and the camcorder (plus the LANC wire-remote record button)

2. I risk my neck finding and riding stuff that I want to ride, filming as I go

3. I let all you slugs watch it for free.

Great deal, huh?

I use my mp4 recorder for my helmet cam.

advantage:

- price (150 euro: cam + mp4 recorder)

disadvantage:

- image quality (good enough for web)

- no remote

- maximum recording length

I don't use it that often that is why I won't buy the required camcorder with dv-in.

I considered getting one of these for a while:

http://www.ambientweather.com/orat18.html

Nice and self contained, you dont need a rucksack and I could use my iPAQ to watch the videos as they both use SD memory cards. Unfortunately though, due to the massive price hike I would pay buying one of these things in the UK I decided it just wasn't worth it. You can get it from UK sellers, but at more than double the price you would pay for it in the US, and if you buy it from a US retailer and get it shipped, you still end up paying large amounts for the postage, and run the risk of being hit with customs charges ontop of that.

I decided in the end I'll just have a look around harajuku and see if I can pick up anything close to what I'm after.

Here is a video that apparently demonstates the quality of the the camera:

Camcorder: 550 euro

Helmet cam (incl. postage n remote n cables n shit): 400 usd

At least now we have two good quality camcorders so me and my touring crew (which happens to consist only of my humble and dedicated girlfriend) can get a bit of edited double-aspect footage going on, eg, her filming me riding with the helmet cam on my head. Or the other way round.

Bonio

The osi helmet cam looks excellent. Unfortunately we UK buyers get shagged all the way to the bank again \:o

I'd love to see if I'm riding as I remember or is it all rose tinted goggles?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
dont get that oregon thing its garbage. look on tgr they cant get the thing to sit right.
I wish you spoke English. \:\)

What's wrong with the Oregon thing? Yes, I'm being statilistic..... \:D

DB - what are you wanting to film? I actually have a lot of experience with this. We were filming things in Japan and only spent around 500 usd. If it's cheaper to buy at US prices, let me know. Seriously, I'd love to help out. I've got a US address over here in Deutschland......

Ok dont buy that Oregon camera it is garbage and doesnt sit still. People at TGR bought it and are having issues with it. Also the quaility is crap i watch a video that it took and it wat crap. Sport shotz makes a good one but, yes you have to carry your camera and its a pain. Its going to take a few years or less but the mpeg4 cameras will size down and become the next generation of head cams. Wait till then but dont buy that crappy oregon thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by db le pu:
At least now we have two good quality camcorders so me and my touring crew (which happens to consist only of my humble and dedicated girlfriend) can get a bit of edited double-aspect footage going on, eg, her filming me riding with the helmet cam on my head. Or the other way round.
shouldn't this be in the "grumper" thread? \:D
i'm looking forward to the "footage".

Plucky - a few days too late, its already shipped. But that would have been helpful so thanks for the offer. I'll let you know when I am in Austria for some filming. Knowing me I will be too lazy to use it. I am not good with stuff.

Kuma et al - I got the sportzshot one.

Goemon - I don't have a goat, do mind if we [censored] yours? Again.

Let's organize an SJ Europe get together. I'll bring my helmet cam you bring yours and we shoot all other SJ loving person in Europe.

My personal experience was that the standard angle even 6mm was not good enough for filming as you either don't see a horizon or you don't see your skis. I really missed those points of orientation. Skiing in the trees in Japan was good without the wide-angle, but skiing in more alpine surroundings in the alps makes the footage very boring. So I got a more wide angle lens hopefully this will work as I'm planning on using it more than last year.

I live in The Hague (for now).

- I'll be in Austria the first week of January (Mittersill/Pas Thurn)

- Then the weekend after that me and some friends will do another weekend to somewhere (depends on the snow situation)

- In March there is a plan to do a Saas-Fee/Zermatt to Macugnua (right spelling) with a befriended guide.

What are your plans?

The Hague. You got it worse than me. At least I can drive to AT in 6 hours. ;\)

My plans:

- Chamonix for xmas

- Engelberg for NYE

- Canada end of Jan

- A two or three week couloir trip in April, likely near Chamonix

And nearly all the weekends in between will be used for impromptu trips, what ever comes up and depending on the situation. Engelberg is my closest by road, followed by Andermatt, but flying to Milan and then driving to Andermatt is a lot easier and the same price or cheaper. Unfortunately flying to Munich is quite expensive for me, so weekend AT trips are always road trips.