Interesting article in today's Guardian. Snowjapan also gets a mention over the page (in the paper edition).

Guardian article about Niseko

I wonder if Brits will start making the trek? I know someone who's forking out nearly a £1000 for a week in the Alps this New Year. Also prices in article are for March & April.

--------------------------------------------------

I also like:

Quote from the article:

Quote:
For most people, cloudy, snowy conditions (and it's always snowing in Japan) can often ruin a holiday. But here, riding at night under floodlights so powerful they illuminate the off-piste means the visibility is perfect. If it's really cloudy they turn them on in the day too.
I love night riding, especially if there's no wind and it's snowing heavily. Bliss.
 Quote:
Originally posted by torihada:
Interesting article in today's Guardian. Snowjapan also gets a mention over the page (in the paper edition).
Guardian article about Niseko

I wonder if Brits will start making the trek? I know someone who's forking out nearly a £1000 for a week in the Alps this New Year. Also prices in article are for March & April.

--------------------------------------------------
I also like:

Quote from the article:

Quote:
For most people, cloudy, snowy conditions (and it's always snowing in Japan) can often ruin a holiday. But here, riding at night under floodlights so powerful they illuminate the off-piste means the visibility is perfect. If it's really cloudy they turn them on in the day too.
I love night riding, especially if there's no wind and it's snowing heavily. Bliss.
I wonder if Brits realize that there are tons of places in the US and Canada where you can do this to. And the terrain is way, way better. The snow - maybe not - depends where you are at. I'll take terrain over snow any day. But I LOVED the skiing in Japan. \:D

I met some really nice Brits from London in Austria last week. It totally blew my perception about them all being egotistical, loud a*holes. Visits to Prague and Amsterdam shaped my perception. The 20 year old slut with bad teeth who said she'd blow me for a beer at Oktoberfest also kinda turned me off. Damn Brits lol.gif The fight between the Brits and Russian futball team also made me laugh. I'm a fit 220 pounds now. I wanted nothing to do with that ruckus \:\)

I just think the Brits hate America and have no idea what it offers up. Same with the Australians. Okay, I've only been to one resort in Europe, BUT, it didn't hold a candle to Meadows or Bachelor or Baker or Telluride or Heavenly or Squaw or even Mt frickin' Ashland.

Plucky;

Boarders I know always talked about Canada & USA as great destinations, it was just the cost that stopped them. I think they may have been envious of north american snow but I don't get feeling that people don't go to USA because they hate the states.

I read on another forum about boarders complaining about English (underline English not Brit) tossers at Meribel telling the snowboarding 'riff raff to go home'. But that's the other end of the spectrum of Brits you've met in Prague & Amsterdam, Meribel/Courcheval is full of Surrey stockbrokers.

Now you're in Germany, winters approaching, in your big Jeep, the Alps are your oyster. See a couple more resorts while you get the chance. \:\)

My best friend here in Germany is a Brit/German.

In my experience, the damn Brits have taken over the 'ugly' label from the Americans. Christ, thanks to Bush's policies, the fatass midwestern Americans can't afford to travel anymore. lol.gif

Like I said, I met some very nice Brits on my last ski trip and look foward to meeting many more.

Here's the crazy thing - at Kitzsteinhorn, Austria, 95% of the people were skiers. There was a group of 20 Aussies that were loud and all of them were smoking. I judge not, but damn. Guys were talking about surfing the gold coast. I so wanted to chime in about my time living at Sunset Beach, Hawaii. I refrained and just took the tram while they discussed crappy Austrian food.....

Man, I agree - live it and have fun! A certain bloke I know is sitting right behind me now. He's from New York. He 'thinks' he knows bout it

all here. He doesn't know shit.

skiing makes me smile \:D

torihada - My experience has been that Brits love a bit of fun, boozing, clowning around and good sunshine in a ski holiday. I'm not sure many need to fly to Japan just for that.

Plucky - (Its Saturday night... you're drinking aren't you \:\) )

... and it sounds like your nationality-competitive edge is edging back into your stuff. I'm a little the same, so I wont cast stones.

As for loud groups of Australian guys: they love being something special where they are, getting attention and strutting around. Its an Aussie thing and I see it often, some guys are even practiced at it: they tilt the head back, sneer the mouth a bit and talk brashly whilst making a chewing motion, usually with some bit of 'special' gear on display or near someone who is widely regarded as being a true local. They always want to be the local, been there before, been there longer than you, done that, know more than the next guy about the terrain or the dude at the bar or Johnny in ski patrol. And when they cant muster up any local thing to differentiate themselves with they fall back to "at home, we do blah blah".

I know it because I have done it myself personally and see people doing it today. Its a total Aussie surfer thing. (The ego struggles that must take place up at Niseko each season... gotta be getting out of control. The leading Aussie players are now the ones clicked into Hakuba crew and scene. I'm betting they are now feel more 'core' Japan than the Niseko tourists).

Take all of that as light-hearted poking at Aussie (male surfer, snowboarder) habits away from their home. You'll find loads of excellent Australians, although you wont notice nor meet them as easy because they are getting around quietly doing their thing, not talking out of turn, seen but not heard.... you wouldn't ever know they were Australian. Same goes for lots of Poms in the Alps. There are some very good English and Scottish alpine ski mountaineers.

But don't even react to it. If you chime in with your time on the North Shore or wherever... then you are just feeding into and feeding from the same thing that prompted you to speak up in the first place. Ne?

When I hear them carrying on, for a millisecond I rise to the moment, getting competative... and then ask myself why I got edgy about it. The answer is about what's in me, not what they are. So I work on myself rather than work them.

Quote:
Originally posted by ibk6020:
IF it's Terrain you want plucky and the good white stuff check out The Arlberg extreme west Austria,
I'll check it out. I've just been given supreme power in the ski club for such a thing \:\)

I'm serious.

AND I don't hate Brits, just Ocean11

Pluckey

If you go check out the St. Anton side of the Arlberg. I think the terrain is better. Once there ski over to Stuben there is a huge powder field there, with some sick chutes near the bottom.

Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:

Okay, now we're going to wathch Ohio State vs Michigan. Teach some Germans what football really is \:D
lol.gif

At least the players that ride thier motorbikes to the game won't need to get changed. ;\)

Just kidding Plucky. I played a few games in the park with the boys when I lived in Canada. Hard shit. I reckon the Quarterback is the bravest guy on the paddock.

Interesting that Niseko thing is really gaining momentum in Western media now. But Japan's only practical for Aussies and Kiwis due to the distance, time zone, and seasons. North Americans and Europeans have their own great resorts within their continents at the same time of the year. But the growing Asian market, that should be something that Japanese resorts can tap into, what with having already invested infrastructure compared to other Asian countries even if climate and terrain are similar (not sure where that would be but..).

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Have a nice hangover Plucky.
It wasn't so bad. Got a nice mt bike ride in today. Made it to the Czech and had to use the 'ol passport.

Thanks for caring though. Ich liebe dich Ocean \:\)

What in the heck is a paddock Mantas??? Not being all nationalistic and all, but I love American colllege football. Best sport - bar none. \:\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by db le pu:
torihada - My experience has been that Brits love a bit of fun, boozing, clowning around and good sunshine in a ski holiday. I'm not sure many need to fly to Japan just for that.

Plucky - (Its Saturday night... you're drinking aren't you \:\) )

... and it sounds like your nationality-competitive edge is edging back into your stuff. I'm a little the same, so I wont cast stones.

As for loud groups of Australian guys: they love being something special where they are, getting attention and strutting around. Its an Aussie thing and I see it often, some guys are even practiced at it: they tilt the head back, sneer the mouth a bit and talk brashly whilst making a chewing motion, usually with some bit of 'special' gear on display or near someone who is widely regarded as being a true local. They always want to be the local, been there before, been there longer than you, done that, know more than the next guy about the terrain or the dude at the bar or Johnny in ski patrol. And when they cant muster up any local thing to differentiate themselves with they fall back to "at home, we do blah blah".

I know it because I have done it myself personally and see people doing it today. Its a total Aussie surfer thing. (The ego struggles that must take place up at Niseko each season... gotta be getting out of control. The leading Aussie players are now the ones clicked into Hakuba crew and scene. I'm betting they are now feel more 'core' Japan than the Niseko tourists).

Take all of that as light-hearted poking at Aussie (male surfer, snowboarder) habits away from their home. You'll find loads of excellent Australians, although you wont notice nor meet them as easy because they are getting around quietly doing their thing, not talking out of turn, seen but not heard.... you wouldn't ever know they were Australian. Same goes for lots of Poms in the Alps. There are some very good English and Scottish alpine ski mountaineers.

But don't even react to it. If you chime in with your time on the North Shore or wherever... then you are just feeding into and feeding from the same thing that prompted you to speak up in the first place. Ne?

When I hear them carrying on, for a millisecond I rise to the moment, getting competative... and then ask myself why I got edgy about it. The answer is about what's in me, not what they are. So I work on myself rather than work them.
That's cool DB. I do the same. In public situations I tend to be pretty quiet. I get vocal, not over my country of birth, but over stupidity. I've seen freinds beaten over something as simple as a parking space because they were American. (tokyo and now Prague).

I'm actually quite reserved in person and more of an observer. If I acted on my thoughts, I'd be locked up for a long time \:\)

That's why these forums are good. It gives people a place to vent but most importantely share experiences. I'm a cynic by nature and it all comes out in what I write.

The nationalisitic thing - I could care less. I do get a bit defensive at times because not one person on here knows what it's like to live where I'm from. Not one of you. To be grouped in as an American idiot actually does hurt. America is so damn big - I can't stand most of the fatass retards from that other side of the country. I'm an Oregonian first, American second. I really do see it that way.

I don't care what Ocean11 has done for this site. He's straight up and complete arschloch. I agree with most things he says - we're on the same team. The guy just hates me because I was born in America. Oh well.

My quick albeit distracted response

Uh-oh. The usual minefield when it comes to generalising about nationalities. In my experience there are good people and a**eholes from every nationality, without exception. The British certainly have their share of both. But approach a Briton with a friendly smile and most of the time they'll reciprocate

Quote:

What in the heck is a paddock Mantas??? Not being all nationalistic and all, but I love American colllege football. Best sport - bar none. \:\)
Not nationalistic at all Plucky. That's why I'll make the following statement.

Rugby league is the best sport-bar none. :p

I do like your American game though, but I'd like it a lot more if they didn't stop the game every 2 minutes to do high fives and have a chat.

I agree with your thoughts.

Criticism about my country I can handle. Generalisations and stereotyping I can't. When someone makes a wholesale insult directed at your country they include you, whether you are guilty as charged or not.
I don't think they do it on purpose. It’s just a bit of clumsiness on their part

P.S. A paddock, just another name for a field. ( sounds suspiciously English )

P.S. Did you surf in Oregan?
 Quote:
Originally posted by snosurf:
 Quote:
The 20 year old slut with bad teeth who said she'd blow me for a beer at Oktoberfest also kinda turned me off. Damn Brits
haha funny sh*t. Did you accept her offer?
No. Although he was flattered by the attention, the girl reminded him too much of his mother.