Um, yeah.

Remeber i had posted that i wanted to do a, `Oyuki Matsuri` to raise awareness for global warming as well as pray for snow?

No?

well i did.

and one other person showed up. Here are the results of my endevor.

500x500_5_0_0.jpg

thats me, offering sake to the gods right before we stripped down to our loincloths and took part in the holy drink ourselves. Bacchus would have been proud.

500x500_5_0_0.jpg

that is Acchan, who was the only other soul to help me on my mission. A stunning turnout, no?

500x500_5_0_0.jpg

and here are the results, a fine dusting of snow on Mt Asama exactly one week after.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
as my GF would say, dont worry its the thought that counts ;\)
Your girlfriend has to say that a lot then does she? You and Bushpig make a great gang.

Oyuki, do you actually believe in the Shinto deities then?

Good question.

But do many (any?) Japanese believe in the deities, not just in the ceremony?

Oyuki Kigan - nice pics

Perhaps you should reconsider whether it was a success or not, as it you went, and it was clearly something you had a personal vision of doing - why make its 'success' dependent on other people signing up too?

Well, as for my own personal beliefs, i am pretty much buddhist.

I can`t say that i belive in Shinto in the `the-universe-was-created-in-an-act-of-incest-and-the-kami-only-live-in-the-blessed-land-of-japan-and-the-emporer-is-the-direct-decendant-of-the-sun-goddess` way, but i definately feel that if there was something worthy of my worship, nature would be it.

When i do pray, i don`t pray to any diety in particular, but usually thank whoever is responsible for keeping those aspects of japanese culture that i find good and beautiful, and the nature that supports it all.

And pray that it continues.

That's a great little TR though with the photos and all. You seem to have a slightly laconic tilt to your head as you pour out the drinks, and your friend also has an ironic precision in his genuflexion. And as it's well known that Shinto deities work on a strictly 7-day fulfillment schedule, it's clear that your time and effort wasn't wasted.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
as my GF would say, dont worry its the thought that counts ;\)
Your girlfriend has to say that a lot then does she? You and Bushpig make a great gang.

Oyuki, do you actually believe in the Shinto deities then?
Oi! Why did I get dragged into this?! CB, you did set yourself up for that though! lol.gif

What about Uller. Hes a snow god right? I know when i was in Breckenridge for the first time they had a street fair flowing with dark beer and they prayed to Uller for snow.Atleast i think thats what it was all about.It may have been some crap cooked up by the Breckenridge JCs to provide a couple more dollors for there yuppie fists to Clutch.

I think a shirt and tie and nice trousers would have been more appropriate - and you might have gotten better results. ;\)

I hope you are continuing the efforts to help us out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Is a dark coloured hoody a requirement of your sect?
yes. i would have worn hakama too, but i don`t have any. So i wore the baggiest pair of trousers i had.

as for suit, its a two-hour hike to get to the jinja. I don`t think the kami minded that i took a liberty with the dress code.

i am assuming (and its JUST an assumption, mind you) that the pollution caused in the past 50 years by the industrialized countries is hampering my efforts a little.

I`m tryin to reduce the impact myself, and the kami can only do so much.

The rest is up to us.