Having had great times in Hokkaido I'm keen on checking out what else Japan has to offer. I'm keen on Hakuba and Happo One looks like the place to stay however what about Shiga Kogen ?

My questions are

1) Hakuba or Shiga Kogen?

2) Where to stay in either resort , I'm looking for somewhere close to the slopes , western style and I'm not too concerned about price.

3) Is it possible to combine 7 days between Hakuba and Shiga Kogen , we're thinking about taking a day off to see the monkeys and transferring resorts the same day , is this possible?

4) Getting to these resorts from Narita. Is there transport such as a bus service to these resorts straight from the airport thus avoiding trains etc

Any advice is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally posted by charlotte:
I would do both - it is a good idea to split the 7 days like that. Take a look at the listings on this site (top links) for some good places.

Are you skier or snowboarder?
Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking about staying at the Mominoki hotel in Hakuba assuming that Happo One is a good base.

How far is it from Hakuba to Shiga Kogen? Is it possible to combine this with a visit to the monkeys ?

We're skiers (I assume one of these resorts doen't allow deckers)

Thanks again
 Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
i think the mominoki, evergreen outdoors and other places run trips to the monkeys from hakuba, so you could easily go on an organised mini bus tour. shiga kogen is less than 3 hours from hakuba... i think?
Where in Shiga Kogen should I stay and which hotel?
 Quote:
Originally posted by brit-gob:
First off I'd decide which area of Shiga Kogen you want to be in. It's very big and coveres a wide area. The 2 extremes are Okushiga and Yokoteyama.
Thanks , Can you recommend the best part of Shiga to stay in and a good hotel thats ski in ski out.
 Quote:
Originally posted by dale#1:
The best part of Shiga Kogen will depend on what you are looking for. What kind of place are you looking for?
I understand that Shiga is made up of several resorts. Are they all interlinked?

I'm looking for accommodation that is convenient and preferably ski in ski out , also western style and not too bothered about price.. Skiing wise I'm obviously looking for some nice off piste whilst the wife likes the cruisers.

I'm thinking about combining my seven days in Japan between Happo One and somewhere in Shiga? Is this a good idea and is it easy to transfer between the two at the end of the day?

Thanks for the feedback

Addicted, 7 days in Nagano would be great. I wish I had that luxury at the moment. I'm determined to make it to Nagano at least once this year but probably for only a couple of days. Can you guys recommend someplace specific? I imagine my best bet would be one of the Hakuba resorts(?)

Here's what I'm looking for:

**Good snow

**Relatively easily accessible off-piste and trees with a relaxed ski patrol

**Steep and interesting terrain

Quote:
Originally posted by muikabochi:
I have been to Shiga Kogen and not seen any patrol at all the whole day. Always feel it is a relaxed place over there.
How far is the bus transfer between Happo and Shiga Kogen. Where is the best interlinked place to stay in Shiga?

Thanks for everyones'help on this.

I'd say the most central part of Shiga Kogen is the Ichinose / Mammoth area - in one direction from there you have Yakebitaiyama/Okushiga and in the other direction you have Sun Valley and then the Kumanoyu / Yokoteyama section.

Quote:
Originally posted by kkk (they're my initials):
I'd say the most central part of Shiga Kogen is the Ichinose / Mammoth area - in one direction from there you have Yakebitaiyama/Okushiga and in the other direction you have Sun Valley and then the Kumanoyu / Yokoteyama section.