Quattro, you used to patrol there?

I was there Dec 02. In one day I saw 3 collisions requiring stretchers and countless snowmobiles with their sirens on coming down the hill. It's one of the most unsafe places I've ever been. The crowds there were unbelievable. 30 minutes queues for the chairs and get this: the lifts stop for lunch!! So everybody is in the canteen all at the same time. Incredible experience.

No more Korea la...

I like the picture snowzzang. It's almost surreal - nice work.

Quote:
Wow Koreans really like snow

I guess all the other countries in the world with resorts opening in November with man made snow must not enjoy skiing as much as Korea

I sense a little sarcasm there Toque. Either way it's implicit, you said it not him. I think the title of the thread 'This is how much the Koreans like skiing' is more an attempt at a humourous caption for the picture, not a value statement regarding which country likes skiing the most.

Patrolled there for 4 years. As part of a small contingent of US Ski patroller's that was associated with the US military. We split most of the time between Bears town and Yong Pyong. The highlight of working was getting to work the World Cup after the Nagano Olympics.

Skiing in Korea can be kind of crazy. One thing to remember is that Seoul is almost as large as Tokyo and there is only a few resorts. This makes for some real over crowding. The snow at most of the resorts was pretty hard a mix of man made and natural. Over all it was a fun time.

Quote:
Originally posted by quattro:
snowzzang

Where in Korea are you?

I use to patrol out at Yong Pyong about 8 years ago. Interesting to see snow out there so early.

http://www.yongpyong.co.kr/eng/about/location.asp
Quattro, I'm in Seoul. How about you?
Notwithstanding the global warming that has definitely been affecting Korea as well, Yong Pyong is opening its ski season earlier and earlier each year. A few years ago, it was early December, then late November, and now it's early November.
 Quote:
Originally posted by snosurf:
I like the picture snowzzang. It's almost surreal - nice work.

Quote:
Wow Koreans really like snow

I guess all the other countries in the world with resorts opening in November with man made snow must not enjoy skiing as much as Korea
I sense a little sarcasm there Toque. Either way it's implicit, you said it not him. I think the title of the thread 'This is how much the Koreans like skiing' is more an attempt at a humourous caption for the picture, not a value statement regarding which country likes skiing the most.
Thanks, snosurf. I second it.
  • 3 weeks later...

I hit both Korea and Hawaii...Problem with Korea - no good way to get to the mountains unless you have a car or a buddy with a car.

Problem with Hawaii, the snow only lasts a couple of days and there are no lifts...you gotta get a group of buddies and take turns driving up and down the volcano. Jibbing off of volcanic rock is not recommended - unless you like a deeply groved base....

-SJA

That is a photo of Phoenix Park, Korea

I was there earlier this year.

Very modern resort, the runs were quite short but good park & pipe.

Night skiing is good, during the vacations lifts are 24hrs operational.

The snow fall and quality may not be comparable to Japan.

But still a good place to ride, I enjoyed it.

Skiing and boarding at Korea is HUGE, and they’ve been doing it since forever.

I think Yong pyong has been around since the late 80's?????.

The oldest resort/ski area is Bears town which is kind of NE of Seoul. Think Early 80's

For the most part skiing in Korea at the larger resorts is more modern then Japan. If only the snow conditions were better.