Hi,

Would like to go snowboading and skiiing in Japan in mid Dec. Does anyone know where is a good place to go during mid Dec. this year? Wondering if there will be enough snow in mid Dec. I would love to enjoy some good mountains and deep snow. Thanks a bunch.

Marc

no no no, I have already booked a mid december weekend at Zao Onsen. I will be doing my sacred naked snow dance on the roof of my building every 3 days untill then. So there WILL be waist deep powder waiting for me when I arrive.

P.S. dancing lessons available upon request

No brainer. Go to Niseko. Probably any other resort in Hokkaido for that matter, too. Mid December on Honshu is risky and so is Hokkaido, but way less so. You're almost guaranteed of good to excellent conditions at that time of the year. Speaking from experience I've had awesome powder days in Niseko in mid December on 5 seperate years.

Quote:
I will be doing my sacred naked snow dance on the roof of my building every 3 days untill then. So there WILL be waist deep powder waiting for me when I arrive.
Well if that don't guaranty snow nothing will. He has been also known to sacrifice virgins to the great snow god. Hide your daughters. ;\)

I went to Hakuba mid-December and only less than half of Happo was open (though there was lots of snow, it seemed like they lacked staff to deal with them).

So, I suppose it is a crapshoot in terms of where snow falls (affected by the ever changing/warming climate), but it also seems to be affected by staffing at various resorts.

Hmm, Niseko eh. Is this before the Aussie onslaught?