What age did you start off your kids on snow then?

Started the kids skiing just after the turned 4. But were out on things like sleds as young as 1.

Have herd of kids skiing at that age but have never seen it. I guess it depends on the kid. You may have to do the teaching yourself. probably wont find a ski school to give any lessons at that age.

I have seen some strap on toy skis they may be able to shuffle around on but most likely not much more

Quote:
Originally posted by quattro:
Started the kids skiing just after the turned 4. But were out on things like sleds as young as 1.

I have herd of kids skiing at that age but never seen it. I guess it depends on the your child. You may have to do the teaching yourself. probably wont find a ski school to give any lessons at that age.

I have also seen some strap on toy skis they may be able to shuffle around on but most likely not much more
  • 1 month later...

not my kids, but...

there was a seminar that i attended that was presented by one of Japan's Olympic athletes (Daisuke Yoshioka) and one of Japan's Top Demo (Keisuke Iyama) - and according to them, they started skiing around 1.5, 2 years old, respectively...

We started our son snowboarding when he was 5 on a 105cm board, smallest we could find. Leg strength requirements are higher for boarding so most resorts around here don't start organized lessons until 8yrs. He did a crazy high-speed falling leaf thing for the first couple seasons.

If I'd been a skier (never tried it), I'd have started him on skis first. It's really hard for small children to leverage a snowboard to change edges and turn properly.

As an instructor i have had kids as young as 2 in private lessons but would not nessicarily recommend that approach (quite scary for a kid of that age to be with a stranger in that situation). Suggest you keep it short and fun and just play games with them. Work on mobility and confidence in the environment to begin with. Young ones generally have a pretty short attention span so when they start loosing it suggest you take a break so that they dont hate it and refuse to try again.

Quote:
Originally posted by speightsman:
As an instructor i have had kids as young as 2 in private lessons but would not nessicarily recommend that approach (quite scary for a kid of that age to be with a stranger in that situation). Suggest you keep it short and fun and just play games with them. Work on mobility and confidence in the environment to begin with. Young ones generally have a pretty short attention span so when they start loosing it suggest you take a break so that they dont hate it and refuse to try again.
Totally agree with you speightsman. 2 is way too young to be sticking a kid in a school with a stranger.

Got any good tips for teaching young kids snowboarding?
 Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
yeah, wait until they are about 5.
So what if they're 7 Oyuki?

I think theres nothing wrong with kids learning younger if THEY WANT to. Pushing them... that's a different matter.
I showed my son ski's... he said NO! (yeah boy!)
He just wants to do the same as his mum, dad and couz..

I'll put up some vid soon..

Mine were 10 and 6 when I started them. That was through circumstance rather than design. The 10yo took to it straight away, but No2 wasn't ready until he was 9. I didn't try to push either of them, which I think can be counter productive.

I started my boy this year. He was 3 1/2. A bit young I think. He could ski OK when he wanted to, other times he would flop on the snow and cry when he had enough. He just didn't have it mentally.

My 7 year old though, she took to it easily and was all over the mountain with me. Probably the best days riding I've had.

No sooner than 3 years of age, before that their leg muscles and cognative ability to work the ski safely just is not there, under 3 is quite dangerous on many levels

BekahLearn1.jpg

My Bekah was 3 when she started and after a shakey start she was off and running

BekahLearn2.jpg

At this age she was always in my reach and we spent a huge amount of time skiing with her hanging off my ski poles or holding my hand.

Throw the poles away, kids dont need them until they are at least 5 years of age

She looks like she's enjoying herself ASB!

You know, each kid is different as all parents would know , I was taken to the snow when I was 7 and skiied all day with my old man (usually ahead!), my sister on the other hand hated it.

Here's a vid of my son's 2nd day. He's 3.5, his first day was 2 years ago and he seems to be taking to it pretty well. Obviously the leg power isn't there yet, but I'm sure it will come and if he can be wizzing down the slopes with me next season I'll be one stoked old man!

th_Xmasday.jpg

At the moment the snow is my thing, I havent taken my son (3.5yo) to the snow, mainly due to financial constraints, it hard enough just getting myself up there, catching rides and gutsing it out on the night bus, I couldnt afford a family trip its that simple.

Also my wife is not interested in snowsports, she has tried but its not her thing.

My son is too big for his age with a really big head which means he has currently has bad balance and and his centre of gravity is all wrong he isnt ready for the extra balance and coordination needed, I wouldnt introduce him, not for quite a while, hes far too impatient and stubborn aswell.

My parents dont and have never skied my dad had his spine fused and my mum a total knee reconstruction when I was really young, they never risked it on the slopes, they took me skiing just once in my life on a special group ski trip when I was about 6, I hated it thought it sucked big time and didnt go again until for years when I went on school trip. I went sporadically until university and a group of friends took me snowboarding for the first time and the fire was ignited for my interest in snowsports, my parents had virtually no influence in my snowsports life.

Here in Japan we do plenty of things as a family, snowsports is not one of them; for the time being I enjoy the freedom and exhileration of the snow, its my escape.

Indo you situation appears a lot different from mine and your kid looks like hes doing really well, nice job.

I swear that kid was trying to pull a tail press! Nicely done Indosnm.

The resorts in the states won't take the kids until they are poddy trained and don't cry when thier mah mah or dah dah leaves them.

After that, they usually teach them front side lipslide with a 180 grab to fakie out, then it's on to day two....man those kids can learn quick!

-SJA

Quote:
Originally posted by Mantas:
Nice one Indo- No mucking around with skis ay?
I'll post some of my groms latter.
That would be like giving your kid a bodyboard instead of a surfboard! lol.gif

SG, family trips are exy, no one to split the highways and petrol, thank god for the ETC 50% discount!
I'm doing the hard yards now in hope that soon the kids will be able to board with us in the future.
My wife surfs and boards which is good, but when you just want to get away with the boys it's sometimes harder to say, "sorry honey, you don't get the powder/pits this time, ya staying home!"
 Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
yeah, wait until they are about 5.
So what if they're 7 Oyuki?

I think theres nothing wrong with kids learning younger if THEY WANT to. Pushing them... that's a different matter.
I showed my son ski's... he said NO! (yeah boy!)
He just wants to do the same as his mum, dad and couz..

I'll put up some vid soon..
There is nothing wrong with 7, but its generally accepted in snowboarding instructing right now that anything younger than 5 makes for difficult learning (and teaching!)

The reason being is that kids below that age generally don`t have the refined motor skills to turn a board. On skis, kids can move their feet around, but because your feet are immobile on a board, it takes a much more subtle movement to control it.

Plus, add a helmet to the kids noggin and expodentially increase the weight of his already top-heavy skeletal structure, and it makes for a difficult time for the kid.