I cant say I have a good set of bindings, they are link which is a division of simsnowboards, but anyway, last season I had this problem and I was wondering if any of you more experienced riders have some advice. Eventhough I regularly check the bindings before I go riding to the resort some days they get a bit loose (the screws that link the bindings to the board), and I have to ask for a screwdriver to fix them again.

don't use locktite!

you just have to keep an eye on them. maybe invest in a tool (ie bakoda) that has a screwdriver and you can tighten them on the fly. If they are always really loose and you can't tighten them enough then something is wrong. Maybe go into your local shop and show them

Yeah coldcat, I had link bindings before and the screws are always coming loose on those things. If you are totally happy with your stance positioning you can use loctite, otherwise just tighten the screws up every morning before you ride.

Also, make sure you keep the bolts on the straps tight. They have a habit of coming very loose. Worst case scenario is that they fall off when you are walking around. This actually happened to a mate of mine, but luckily I noticed his strap fall off when we were hiking around.

Also, make sure you keep the bolt that joins the highback to the metal bar around the back of the binding nice and tight. If that gets loose the highback can rattle around and break. It’s a pretty fragile little thing, and once its broken you’re stuffed. I bought cheap (new) link bindings when I first started snowboarding, and broke 3 highbacks in 2 seasons. They’re easy to replace in Canada, but not many places in japan stock them. I broke the last cup in niseko, and nowhere in Kutchan had a replacement – I ended up buying an old Burton highback and it worked for a few days, then I just bought some new Salomon bindings instead.

If you’re just starting out snowboarding or just purchased the Link’s, they are an OK binding, and I rode them pretty hard for about 100 solid days. They seemed to work well enough for me, and I don’t want to freak you out with the info I just posted. But I wouldn’t buy them again.

Thanks everyone.

I bought the bindings last year very cheap too. The screws come a little lose I'd say once every 1 week of riding.

For this season I bought a new snowboard and hopefully for next season I can buy new decent bindings. For the time being, apart from the bindings coming loose from time to time, I am more less satisfied with the bindings.

Thanks a lot for the advice quattro but I think I'll listen to kumapix and don't use loctite. If I want to change stance or something I guess it is really complicated once you've used the loctite.

Kumapix do you know of any place where I can get that bakoda in Japan (I'm sorry is the first time I've heard this word)

bakoda is a brand name. Red (by burton) makes one too. just go to a snowboard shop and ask for a driver and they will show them to you. it's a popular item. they should be under 2000 yen and have a whole bunch of tools in them. the new bakoda ones have a thermometer and a compass. I find they are a bit heavy to ride with so I just leave one in the car. My bindings are topnotch and they loosen prob once a year near the end of the season

any snowboard shop. its a little multi-tool thing that fits easily in your jacket pocket. its got a ratchet head and a bunch of different screws and allen key sizes and types. dakine and burton also make em. they cost about $15-$30AUS. dunno what they cost in japan, but they're cheap and very useful.

There are many different grades of loctite. If you get the low end stuff ... think its called screw lock or something, you will not have any dramas getting them apart again. Something else you may want to try is getting a new set of binding screws, new screws have a strip of thread lock on them that is really only good for one application, ie if you remove the screws it becomes alot less effective. Just curious.......are the link bindings an aluminum baseplate??

with the paper that came with my bindings it says:

check your binding screws everytime you ride, every sunday afternoon, and every full moon.

never use loctite or any other threadlock on your screws. it can corrode and weaken the non-metal components of your binding.

here is the bakoda tool. get one similar:

bakoda_jimmy_driver.jpg

halfmachine, yes they are aluminum, why you ask, is there any relation between being made of aluminum and coming unscrewed easily? If so maybe I could buy a new plate made of another material you recommend?

I lost a the screw from a buckle on first time out. mad.gif I now always carry a small screw driver tool designed for snowboard bindings. You can get something similar to the bakoda tool above from a hyaku yen shop.It wont have all the bells and whistles but should have enough driver bits to do the business. I also take spare screws and a buckle; once bitten twice shy. I say you're doing pretty well with a weeks riding before getting loose bindings.I check mine daily. Have just up- graded from dirt cheap bindings to some rather pricey solomon relays, I will still be checking daily. I do not want to have to skate down a mountain. \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:

here is the bakoda tool. get one similar:
bakoda_jimmy_driver.jpg
I've spent 5 minutes trying to open one of those bastards before.

Just bought myself a new lightweight Leatherman tool. Oooops, it doesn't have the big Philips head for the binding plate screws.

I tighten my screws every outing. I don't trust snowboard bindings at all. They are over hyped junk held together in such a way that constant care and maintenance is required. On the other hand, mid level ski bindings are safe and soundly constructed. There is way too much reputation to blow if you put a shit binding to market. Pity the quick-thrill teenage-image snowboard crowd wont hold snowboard manufacturing companies to the same standard.

I agree with Kumapix;

anything with a capstrap; technine are the only other manuafaturer allowed to sell 'cap straps' after agreement with burton.Hard to get outside USA. Their baltimore straps are good, you can bodge them onto cheaper bindings for a cheap solution. I got a set of USA ebay and stuck them on my old cheap bindings last year: baltimore straps They were a vast improvement.

Other manufaturers are making things that appear strikingly similar to burton's cap straps; my new solomon relays have a toe strap that snuggly fits around the toe of my boot. Sweet! No more blood drained toes.

I don't think you should be too worried if your bolts are coming loose once every week of riding. Just make sure you tighten them everytime you go out.

Take it from me, if you don't tighten them it can be very, very painful. I rode over a fairly high tabletop jump, got some nice air, and on landing both my bindings decided to come loose at the same time. The right one turned about 120 degrees to the right, and the left one turned about 100 degrees left. My groin was not happy. Couldn't walk for a few weeks.

Sounds painful!

I saw a French freetyler have one dinding come clean off the board in mid-air, while hitting a 30 foot table with quite a big step-down!!!

It was in summer, and sunny so you could clearly see it happen, it looked so crazy!

He managed to land ok, which was pretty amazing.

I think he must have snapped the disc on his previous hit...

... or taken a 'french' approach to keeping his bolts tight! lol.gif