Hi everyone, my husband and I are desparate to go snowboarding and the only time we can go is the first week in April next year, on the way back to Scotland from Oz! In your opinion is it worth a stop in Japan, it's only costing £80 extra for the flights? Is there a nice high resort in Japan good for spring snow? We've both done a couple of seasons so we'd be looking for somewhere with a few challenges.

Thanks for any advice.

Well it will be a million times better then Glenshit :cough: Glenshee.

Spring is really the best time to ski in Japan, its a little cheaper than december, couple of layers of snow, 2-3 meters deep. And nice resorts everywere.

I learned to ski on glenshee

How dare you! I'll have you know that Glenshee is one of the best resorts in the world beginning with 'glen' and ending in 'shee'.

Hey, if you survived learning to ski in Scotland, you can survive anything.

I think we might give Hakuba, Nagano a try. Hopefully it'll have some decent snow in April.

Quote:
Originally posted by Suze:
Hey, if you survived learning to ski in Scotland, you can survive anything.
hahahaha i agree! ice, gale force winds, not an inch of powder in sight, closed roads, rocks everywhere, gay picket fences 10 inches out of the snow (what were cairngorm thinking?), blizzards, t-bars that go down hill, 30cm of snow - skiing in scotland is where it's at lol.

i learned to ski in austria, but often skied up north in high school, what a laugh that was. the white lady, what a legend of a run!

spring skiing here in japan is awesome thumbsup.gif i skied powder on the resort last year on 30 april and the end of march was epic! you'll have a great time cool.gif

where in scotland are you from?

Now eskimobasecamp you can see how I got my leg impailed on a wooden stake, from the injury thread.

Glenshee was the worst, especialy the west side. There was a beginner area, but right at the bottom where everybody queued for the poma(thats right japanese readers did you ever even see a poma in your lives?) it would taper into a 40degree gradient(hardly beginner and it was pack ice)

THe funny thing is a lot of the expert runs had a low gradient and were pretty easy.

Wow, doesn't look so bad. Maybe I can hope for a bit of Scottish riding this year. There's some folk saying that in twenty years or so there won't be any snow in the Scottish resorts.

I'm living in Edinburgh just now, eskimobasecamp, but grew up in Livingston. What abuot you? I learnt to board in St Anton, Austria - no shortage of snow there.

I hope there will still be snow on those hills for a long time. But even now they only get a few cm of snow up there. If i remember correctly the resorts will open up on bases of 30cm, hence the rocks all over the place!

Middle of Nowhere, Dumfries & Galloway thumbsup.gif

Edinburgh's sweet!

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

I've been teaching in Bangkok but just need to break out of the heat and get in the mountains! I've just started looking into Japan, and am getting very excited, as I havn't been on the snow since my last season in 2004!

How may the conditions/prices be in late January? Also, what sort of prices am I looking at for the Shiga-Kogen area? Thanks for any help,

fred