yeah i have been on the old oli chair at lake louise when the mercury read -50C. i don't think hokkaido can match that.

but i am sure alyeska can get rather cold, and i bet there are a few resorts in northern norway that can match it.

Villa Oliva or Raging Buffalo in chicago (famous for landfill ski resorts). in january, it can get to minus 80 F with the wind chill. have no idea what that is Celsius, but pretty cold.

Well guys, I was actually speaking about monthly average. I've been boarding a couple of times in souther Spain, Sierra Nevada. U can see Africa from the top of the highest run which is about about 3,300m and is really warm there. However, the temperature has gone down to -50C sometimes because of how high the resort is, but it isn't representative at all. The average for January is -6C. I still think that if we consider the monthly average Furano or asahidake would be amongst the coldest. But definitely, for those of you who don't know, the coldest has to be a resort in Bolivia (I cant remember its name). It's the higest resort in the world. It's well over 5,000m. It's so cold that it's actually only open in the summer months.

I'm sure these two small mountains just north of Fairbanks, Alaska would have to be right up there. Much, much colder than anything you will find in Japan. I did most of my skiing at these two places the last two winters with some trips to Alyeska thrown in (and Whistler). Alyeska is like the tropics compared with Moose Mt. and Skiland. I remember skiing Moose Mt last year when a big temp inversion was taking place. It was 'only' -5F at the summit but was -35F at the base. Fargin' nutz. Did a couple days similar to this at Skiland too and froze my ass off on the super slow pre WW2 era double chair lift (possibly farthest north one in the world).

http://home.att.net/~Skiland/

http://www.shredthemoose.com/ (no ski lift but uses buses to take people from the base area to the summit(s).)