December is great, cant remember a bad one, in fact we do most of our skiing in Dec, the crowd on the mountain is very family orientated. Last Dec was excellent. You can expect lots of snowy, snowy days.

Chances are you'll be OK for snow, but I think some of the comments above are perhaps a bit careless.

When I was in Niseko in December 2003, there was a definite shortage of snow before Christmas. I owe some of the deepest scratches in my skis to rocks that I was bouncing over on that trip. I would guarantee January, but not December.

Last season's lulled some people into complacency about the likely timing and amount of snow

Spooky spook, I think you are right mate. Weather is pretty much unpredictable, especially that far in time. But hey, I had to ask. For all you guys who are going around the same time as me I hope the weather is great,cold and with plenty of dry pow.

Happy boarding/skiing!

good luck with it coldcat! didn't mean to sound harsh (especially as i freak about conditions prior to a trip)... but at the end of the day you're going at the right time, and whatever happens happens. the trick is to try and make the best of whatever you get.

i find the lower your expectations, the more appreciative you are when you hit the awesome conditions.

And the less disappointed you are when it stays average for most of the trip.

That's not to mean don't get excited. The weather always conspires against me to ruin all my surf/snow trips so that's why i now have this pessimistic approach to trips \:\) Still, it works for me.

Thursday - thanks, especially appreciating your guidance on that. I'm sure that end of December will be fine.

Hopefully it will start snowing steadily in a couple of weeks time and be good from the end of this month until...May, perhaps? \:D

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/niseko-now-archive.php?month=12&year=2003

not the best at all then actually ask toque that was when he went. Xmas anywhere is hit and miss. A bit more hit when it comes to japan though. Keep your hopes to certain level and you wont feel like youve missed out on something. You should be able to ski at least half the mountain if you cant do that then you no its bad. Once the snow turns on in Japan it usally stays turned on though.

Hi everyone,

Firstly great forum!

Some mates want to head to Niseko for our first Japan skiing trip. I have only been to Mt Hotham and Mt Buller here in Australia so excitied about the possibilities of powder in Niseko!!

For time off reasons they are looking at a cheap package in early-mid December (8th-17th) I believe...Is this too risky for snow??

I really want to go, is there anything you guys could say to ease my concerns? And is there much else to do nearby to Niseko if the snow is bad!?

I have looked at the past years snowfalls and seems to be variable that time...I know this year in Hotham was crap, but the year before was good, is there any correlation between hemispheres??

Many thanks

8th of Dec....Good luck. Ive skied then up there when I was working and it was sick. But each year is diff.

>I really want to go, is there anything you guys could say to ease my concerns?

Not really since nobody can predict the weather. You could buy some Xanex now though and down the bottle if youre that worried.

And is there much else to do nearby to Niseko if the snow is bad!?

Nope. F'all except soak in onsens and drink beer. Head back to Sapporo might be your best option.

They have got other things going on but if you cant ski and youve bought a ticket they all cost extra money. try to hold off as long as you can before you reserve or also spend money to insure a cancelation maybe.

Early season is always hit and miss unless you head to colorado. But it rarely snows in colorado after Xmas till the spring