What is the worst thing you have done to yourself of the slope?

Every year I lose my two big toenails. Even I cut them but landing heavy jumps sometimes just burst them off. Or have to rip the rest of them off later.

Last year when I was tired, I tore 2 tendons in my Knee using snowblades.

In Europe I fell on a cheap wooden fence and stabbed myself with a large splinter on the leg.

What are yours? I have some pictures somewhere I will post them later.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus! Maybe you should consider giving up snowsports for checkers. lol.gif

Only injury I've ever gotten was stretched ligament in my wrist from when my pole got snagged on a tree branch. I no longer use the pole straps.

Haha, Tohoku bum. I forgot I had one of thoes too. So I gave up using poles. :p

Its from trying to do tricks,jumps and rails. I am not great a snowsports, but I get to excited when I see something that looks too much like fun.

first time out on skis at 18, I slammed side on into the cement base of a lift pillar (actually it was solid ice). Stupidly racing with my mate who was also a first timer! Finished off my day (luckily almost done anyway), and gave me a fracture in my hip. Had a nice bruise for quite a long time and now have a permanent bump there like what EBC might end up with! ;\)

I would if I had a camera on me back then! I'd happily oblige the pics. The bump that remains can't be seen so much as felt when you run the hand over the area. You can feel a definite bump on the bone. Sorry. But EBC, come oooon!

i've had frost bite before and i currently have a huge injury to my left thigh, (trauma caused by hitting a lot of rocks at speed) which i don't want to say too much about on here for fear of kajoling from the crew.

having now biked everday for the last 3 weeks my bump is starting to do something. i think the nerves are coming back in the lower section of the injury, as the feeling is starting to return to that part of my leg. it's still a rather large bump, but somehow starting to feel like a normal leg inside, the dent in my muscle is sorting itself out a bit more and the fluid is going very very slowly, but there is definitely less of it wobbling around inside the bump.

maybe this was the best thing for me? i'm out there everyday on my bike and loving it, it's slowly sorting out my gimpy leg and i'm getting fit at the same time.

I sent pictures to my mum last week, and she finally realised that i have a leg injury and not a bruise!!!!!!

No sorry i don't think i can take a picture of it and not expose far too much flesh. Though i'd love to show it to all of you so you could GASP in horror and stop making fun of me ;\)

snowblades are gnarly man

read above, finally i think the injury is getting there, it seems to have reached a new stage in the last few days, and my efforts to bike everyday are paying off. i can't believe it, but i hope the snow doesn't come early so i can bike for as long as possible and get all this shit that's in my leg, out of my leg. i have these painful days, like last sunday and then it's so much better, and i think smaller, like the calm after the injury storm. i think the painful days are when the liquid is moving out.

i go to the onsen everyday after biking too and that seems to help too. i've never been this gung ho about exercise in my life before, but i've never wanted anything so much as i do right now, i really want a leg that is OK. i want to ride this winter.

They are kind of like a cold compress that last 2 hours. In Ireland we have a can of Deep Heat to spray on injuries. But in Japan they like the feeling of cold on injuries. Mad I tells ya.

They smell of spices and are cold... You can usualy pick them up at your hotel.

Also you can buy heat packs for keeping your hands and stomach warm. I forget the name but they are made from coal and iron filings.

On my second day snowboarding I flopped over in some powder at the edge of the run in Japan. I tried to do a sit up to get back out and tore something in my lower abdomen. It hurt like hell. I was with two guys from this forum and was trying to keep up with them. Its still lightly herniated to this day. I have a 7 pack.

I also banged up both my rotor cuffs, but I think that was from 5 days a week leaning over a desk computer more than anything.

Besides a smashed face on the piste and some blood, I am have been untouched by injury.

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowSnow:
Every year I lose my two big toenails. Even I cut them but landing heavy jumps sometimes just burst them off. Or have to rip the rest of them off later.
My toe nails always fall off too, But the worst injury was last year on the red side of hakuba it got a big foggy. I busted into the trees for a bit, and some buttplug took a big dump right in the middle of my line, I cut left and BLAM right into a tree, split my ****in helmet couldn't believe it!!!

Two broken wrists

One broken thumb (probably hurt the most)

Two broken collar bones

Two torn meniscuseseses (menisci?) in right knee

Stress fracture in left ankle

lots of bumps, bruises and scrapes.......but I've never impaled myself on a fence!

Gee, I wonder why it is I'm suffering from arthritis at the tender age of 32?

Don't get me started on team sport related injuries........