Lots of stink bugs = good sign for snow.

Lots of giant jellyfish = bad sign for fishermen.

(I'm sorry to even have to mention irrelevancies like jellyfish, but I want to squash this spurious controversy before it even arises.)

We had a stink bug in our house the other day, so we can reasonably expect a luxuriant 4 cm of snow on our road instead of the usual 3.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
a dead one that I sucked up in my vacuum cleaner, only to find out it was playing dead, and then proceeded to stink my house out thru the air getting spat out the back of the vacuum cleaner! eek.gif
umm, i'm not even going to ask why you tried to vacuum one of those guys up. just simply, how in god's name did it appear in your living room?

i've heard they are in decline here now. there are lots of people in sendai every weekend advertising their plight and asking for donations to help support recovery programmes. sometimes they have pictures of them; cute little guys.

daver, it(kamemushi, not kamoshika!) was dead (or so it seemed!) behind a stack of books by one of my windows. I found it when vacuuming and thought it must have crawled in somehow when the window was open. Naturally, thinking it was dead (cos it was on it's back, legs in the air, not moving) I sucked it up. The rest was a bad smell...