Not too bad around Tokyo as you stay on the highway above the city for the most part, it`s just where highways meet and cross over a million different lanes in the space of a couple of hundred meters!! You do a get a good view of Odaiba and drive over the Rainbow Bridhe coming from Narita though, which is a pretty cool site at night.

Am at the airport tomorrow so will see if I can see anything about car rental/pickup while I am there if have time.

That sounds great. I've driven around Manhattan and LA, and if Tokyo tops that, it will be a hoot!

Thanks Farquah, I'd appreciate that. I started making a booking with Europcar, and they offered me a Mazda van with snow tyres, chains and a baby seat (not sure if AWD though). Budget wont do internet booking from Narita, and Avis doesn't even list Narita at all.

I'd much rather drive than sit on a train or bus. The view from the Shinkansen isn't that special (most of it is in tunnels anyway), and if anything catches our eye from the road, we can divert to check it out. Or grab a snack. Or change a nappy. Or whatever.

Navigating through Tokyo is easy - from Narita, follow Tokyo signs - after the first 15 kms, there are 2 routes - the highway splits so you can go south along Tokyo Bay (Bayshore route) following the 'B' or you can stay on the main highway and follow '7'. Once you are on the Tokyo Shuto expressway (coming in from either route), follow the signs for '4' Shinjuku and keep going West. Easy.

There are a couple of traffic maps posted that will show you which route has more traffic and a time estimate - follow the route that has less red...

Once you are on the highway, its not a good idea to get off - at least until you are well clear of Tokyo. There are lots of rest-stops outside of Tokyo but the few in the city are not very nice and getting on/off the road is a bit tricky - best to drive right through...

anything 4wd drive is fine.

ask for a navi in the car and get them to program it to get you to your hotel. then dont touch the navi and let it guide you there.

Once on the highway stay on it the gas is cheaper and the rest stops arent bad really. Better than Mcds.

After the highway

be carefull between toyoshina and omachi as it tends to get alot of black ice. Sometimes 20kms of only black ice. Stick you foot on the road at the stop lights to check.

They get a lot of sun during the day and the water drains towards the river beside the road. that water then freezes on the road.

From Omachi to Hakuba a bit of the same problem but it tends to be snowy. Just take your time and dont be pushed by other drivers.

I got the gist of it.

We will drive as slowly as we need to for safety, and show due consideration to those sharing the road with us.

If only everyone thought the same way, what a wonderful world this would be...

I didn't mean to suggest that all of the rest stops were bad - just the ones in the immediate Tokyo area - once you are past Shinjuku and on the Chuo Expressway, they are fine and much larger so there is no problem getting in and out of them.

Quote:
Originally posted by keba:
By modest, you mean he makes it sound easier than it really is?
No. fjef drives a Delica, but he's not pushing it. One would be ideal for your purpose.

Winter driving here is nothing to be worried about. The authorities are very diligent about keeping the roads open. Because of the volume and inevitability of heavy snow, everyone is geared for it. It's not like the UK, where a couple of inches causes chaos. Here we can get 60-80 cm overnight, and the roads still be kept open.

Delica's are great in winter conditions but I feel guilty driving it to Hakuba and back with just my son and I in it. Will be looking for riders to fill it up this winter as I mentioned earlier.

If I must confess, my regular ride is a Pruis hybrid and it is perfect for commuting between Tokyo and home - amazing gas mileage and very low emissions. I will never buy a 'normal' car again.

For a nice day, I have a little Honda CB400 for cruising the beach here in Chiba...