Sorry if this has been posted before

But we are trying to decide between heading to Niseko or Furano for a week of boarding.. What are the pro's and con's of each and which would would be better to go to..

thanks in advance!

mark

Markie cant pass up the deal i give him every year driving my cars around and meeting all the women. Plus poking fun at me is kinda a sport for him.

Markie the van is bought and paid for so we have 12 to 14 seats in one go.

Quote:
Originally posted by chop:
Hakuba is overated + plus way too many Japanese.?
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif There's never enough Japanese for me.

Yeah, Fattwins, made me an offer I couldn't refuse. And being smart, I don't have to wake up with a horse's head in my bed to accept it.

On the subject of poking fun at you, I don't know whether I had anything to do with it, by making you conscious of your mistakes, but your English has actually got a lot better compared to a couple of years ago!

Niseko is so much bigger an better than Furano in terms of skiable terrain. Niseko has 4 major ski areas, Furano has 2. Niseko you have huge areas of off-piste whereas Furano has ropes.

Furano is probably easier with a family and there is more to do if you want a break from skiing. Furano you are more likely to experience clear weather and get views and Niseko you are more likely to have deep powder.

Yes, Niseko is packed with Aussies and Furano is not and culturally there's more to do in Furano. Still if you come all this way to ski/board what's more important, skiing experience or cultural experience? You can decide that.

I'm going to both. Never been to Furano so am keen to check it out. I have a feeling that this may be the last year Furano remains relatively "Aussie free". It's had a lot of marketing in the Australian ski print media this year. I want to see it in it's relatively undiscovered form.

Also, I'm planning on doing day trips out of Furano so I get to experience some other mountains. Can't wait.

• 3 years later...

In some ways the debate is irrelevant as both Niseko and Furnao are very very good destinations, both offer top quality snow, but each place has its own distinct atmosphere. Whichever place people go to I am sure they will enjoy thenmselves.

A few notes about Furano:

A little different from Niseko in that the ski area is actually in Furano City. You can walk from the lifts to the main part of the city in 20 minutes. The city has a vibrant bar/restaurant life. The restaurant are owned by locals and cater to locals, so you are getting the real deal. No Australianised menus and no inflated prices.

Nearby to Furano are the resorts of Kamui Ski Links and Tomamu Resort. A Furano lift pass can be used at these resorts (conditions apply). Regular shuttle services run day trips to these resorts.

Alot has been said about ropes etc. Most Japanese ski areas start out with strict policies, and gradually relax over time. Furano was very strict about 3 years ago. Things have relaxed since then. Last season there were people to be seen everywhere through the trees.

Niseko has the famous name. Everyone goes to Niseko because everyone else goes. Furano is often at first a second choice destination but once discovered people often find what they have really been looking for; a ski vacation in a real Japanese setting.

In my 3 years of skiing Furano I haven't had to ski in white out conditions yet. The weather is very stable and Furano has the ability to delivered a constant trickle of snow but keep visibility perfect. It can be a blue sky day with a contact trickle of snow.