Hi Folks

Heading to Niseko in January for the first time and staying at the Higashiyama Prince Hotel. Was wondering how well the 4 resorts are linked via the ski lifts/gondolas.

Are all 4 resorts reachable from the top of the mountain, and if so, what degree of difficulty is there? I'm going with the wife whom doesn't like to push it (on the mountain that is).

Is it a safer bet to catch the bus between resorts, or will my hesitant wife be able to handle it at the peak?

Cheers

BTW Is night skiing worth a go or just a toss?

Night skiing is usually a good time to get relatively uncrowded turns in spacmun. At Niseko I remember more than 1/2 the mountain being lit up so some pretty good riding can be had especially if the white stuff is still falling. Get amongst it.

She should be ok....but,

If its blowing snow at the top she may not like it that much. If the gondola is on wind hold you wont be able to make it over to Hirafu and if IIRC the high single chair at the top of higashiyama may not be much fun for the missus in a blizzard. My advice would be to catch the bus if the weather sucks or possibly a cab may be neccesary as busses are infrequent in the middle of the day.

buses infrequent in the middle of the day?

Perhaps things have changed but I remember a couple of years ago that there's a regular bus service running between the 3 main resorts throughout the day (free as I recall, at least to pass holders). Otherwise you'd be holding an all-mountain pass and stuck on one resort because of the weather...

The Niseko bus connection is a joke. If the gondolas close down due to high winds you can expect to be stranded for hours - really. Spacmum, the resort connection at the top of the mountain is at worst slow and very cold but that is about it, unless there is a whiteout as well in which case it is slow, cold and more than a little surreal!

ok things to pack in your pockets for riding my advice.

always have 100 yen stretchy gloves in your pocket. they can increase your glove heat and soak up moisture. HAve another pair of thicker liners as well. face mask neopreane never leave home without it. that will save you on a cold day.

Quote:
Originally posted by skidaisuki:
buses infrequent in the middle of the day?

Perhaps things have changed but I remember a couple of years ago that there's a regular bus service running between the 3 main resorts throughout the day (free as I recall, at least to pass holders). Otherwise you'd be holding an all-mountain pass and stuck on one resort because of the weather...
From memory no busses betwween 11:30 and 14:30. They are only free for all mountain pass holders.

You can take the Prince Gondola and then ski down to Downhill number 3. Take this up to the top and and ski towards the left through black diamond towards base of Ace number 4 and you'll be at the top of Hirafu. From there you have the whole of the Grand Hirafu area to play in.

Or take the Prince Gondola up and walk 15 mins on the signposted path towards Hirafu.

Alternatively, if you like waiting around, the shuttle is available. Make sure you have the Niseko United lift pass or they will charge you 500Yen per ride. The last bus from Hirafu is 6:30pm. I usually have to shove dinner down my face at the Alpen if I'm going to make that bus.

Prince Higashiyama is a ghastly hotel, you sure you want to stay there? I stayed in Feb 'cos there was no other choice, ended up at Hirafu most of the time because the food is better and cheaper and more slopes, less huge school parties.

NPC and good ole SkiJ. Before you know it, they've sweet talked you into a day trip to Rusutsu, starting off early in the morning with a slight detour to see some of the lodges coming onstream in 2008 and oh, you're just in luck we have these two under offer but you may get a look in.....

And now to Rusutsu.....

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
NPC and good ole SkiJ. Before you know it, they've sweet talked you into a day trip to Rusutsu, starting off early in the morning with a slight detour to see some of the lodges coming onstream in 2008 and oh, you're just in luck we have these two under offer but you may get a look in.....

And now to Rusutsu.....
So you've done that little side trip too?!

Perhaps the most important thing that wasn't mentioned above - the Hotel isn't the best place to stay. Would've been better to stay in one of the Pensiones closer to the village as it provides better opportunities - but I guess that's too late now?

you might not be surprised that the bus is half full of old biddies who at the age of 70+ are still actively skiing. (Dig their one piece suits in yellow and purple from the 80s.) And the other half is the school run, parents dropping off their kids at the ski school in Hirafu. Perhaps that's why it's so infrequent.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
ok things to pack in your pockets for riding my advice.

always have 100 yen stretchy gloves in your pocket. they can increase your glove heat and soak up moisture. HAve another pair of thicker liners as well. face mask neopreane never leave home without it. that will save you on a cold day.
amen to the neoprene
  • 3 weeks later...