Question for people who ride Burton snowboards

not sure whether it's on the right or left side, but it's definitely intact. Sounds like you're looking at a grey market board or a second. There is a shop in Kanda called Liberty that used to have seconds/grey market boards. DOn't know if they still do.

sometimes.

also seconds are sometimes a good deal if it's only a topsheet imperfection. sometimes you can't even tell what's wrong. or if a graphic gets messed up a little

I'd say if you do lots of park or are used to breaking boards, then get a warrantied one. If you look after your boards or just ride groomers/pow then a grey or second would be a decent gamble

Burton seconds That come from the factories are normally stamped with a brand that burns into the first top sheet!

the brand is depressed to about 1mm depth but does not mean the board is a failiure but just not up to high factory standards!

I my self have owned a second standard Fish for the last 2 seasons but the only fault is within the graphics!

i went to a snowboard sale the other day and found it strange that ALL of the serial numbers on the Burton boards either had the last 6 or so numbers scratched out or had a gray/silver sticker covering the numbers.

i thought these boards could be a rip-off

courtesy of mr. wiggles from a few years ago on the forums:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:

Many Burton boards have their serial numbers erased to prevent Burton from finding out which US wholesalers are unofficially selling them to Japanese retailers. Burton boards sold through the recognized channel of Burton Japan are more expensive than such parallel imports. According to a guy I know who worked at an official Burton Japan dealer, most of the big stores that previously carried parallel imported Burtons (Xebio etc) will all be selling official gear this year. Burton Japan has lowered its prices to try to discourage such imports, but they'll still appear no doubt.

I seem to remember seeing a board with "second" stamped into the P-tex at the tip. Mine has "demo" written there, but still has the serial number. I bought it in Canada.

I have a student who works making snowboards here in Japan (Asakusa area). He claims that he is making snowboards for Burton and K2, and that the manufacturing process is in fact pretty cheap!

so your student is one of the people scratching off Burton serial numbers! mad.gif ;\)

yes, as it's been mentioned in other threads, making pretty much anything is cheap, outdoor equipment is no exception. middle men have to get their cut, and that is part of the reason things are so expensive in japan. so when japanese go abroad, they think, oh my goodness gaikokuland is sooo cheap.

Quote:
Originally posted by XilR8:
I have a student who works making snowboards here in Japan (Asakusa area). He claims that he is making snowboards for Burton and K2, and that the manufacturing process is in fact pretty cheap!
Hmmm, that's interesting.
I always thought Burton boards are officially only made in Vermont or Insbruck, but after a look at the website, it says that the BMC Vermont place is only 'one of their worldwide manufacturing locations', so maybe not....

I would guess that with the number of 'Japan specific flex model versions being released, and Japan limited models, it would be those ones that are being made here.

On a side note, I have met Japanese riders who have made their own boards here, to pro brand standard - small scale production. I would love to try that....

Ask him how he is making boards for 2 differnt HUGE companies. I know that smaller companies get boards pressed at the same factories (i heard that the majority of the world`s boards are made it one of 4 different factories, but that is heresay)

I would be interested in knowing just what your friend makes.