Have booked our first trip to Japan this New Year. I am looking for best resort recommendations. Here's some further info to give you an idea what we're looking for:

1. Dates 30/12 to 06/01 so needs to be a place that can handle the crowds & has a good snow early season.

2. Good boarding terrain with some backcountry (& powder please !)

3. Scenic resort with nice village (no concrete jungles)

4. Availability of good hotels / ryokans / restaurants & some night life. (please recommend any really good ones)

5. Best way to travel to resorts - train or rent a car ?

6. Ideally no more than 4/5 hours travelling from Tokyo but would consider Hokkaido if it really is worth the trip.

7. Looking for a large resort or one with other resorts close by or connected.

8. Full-on Japanese skiing (well boarding really) experience.

A friend of a friend recommended Yuzawa - any good ?

Really looking forward to our trip.

Many thanks for any replies.

Parksie

6. Ideally no more than 4/5 hours travelling from Tokyo but would consider Hokkaido if it really is worth the trip.

^^It was that requirement that stopped me from recommending Switzerland France or Austria, cause that what you described ;\)

Go to Hakuba or Yuzawa.

You mean Echoland/Misorano area right Tsondaboy? If you stay round either Happone or Goryu instead then it's not going to cost that much to get cabs out to wherever there's any nightlife going on anyway. Just don't expect that much to be going on midweek as a rule of thumb.

Its new years if you choose any backpackers it will have life and people can drag you around.

If you stay at a hotel then you should think more about where you want to ski and what you want to do.

the shuttles will get you where you want to go easy enough

If you go to Hakuba, depending on your budget, the momonoki is pretty good and is a very short walk to the Happo lifts. If you're in Hakuba for NY look at sorting out a NY tour. Some friends and I did that a couple of years ago (we did ours with Evergreen). You get taken around to a nice dinner in a big old Japanese house and then on to the local shrine for some sake and drums and then back to another shrine to bang the big bell thing. Walking up to the shrine and through the torii gate with snow falling and the drums rumbling was pretty special. Some might call the whole thing a bit naff but even after living in Japan for years we still loved the experience. Not sure if they still do it but if you want something "traditional" you might want to consider something like that. Where ever you stay might have something as well - but you need to make an effort to tap in to that sort of stuff. As a foreigner it can be a bit easy to skate on the surface of Japan and miss out on a lot of cool stuff happening around you.

Book soon because Japanese NY is pretty full-on and most places will fill up very quickly.

Rag-Doll / Mr Wiggles - the NY tour sounds good, I am sure my wife would like it, as long as it's not too touristy. Where do you find more info.

I think Hakuba is looking a good choice for our trip. Any recommendations for a really good hotel / ryokan. Somewhere more Japanese than western biased would be preferred. The emphasis is on quality rather than cost.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...