It sounds like they were just out having a little wander along the trails. They spent the previous night up there in the big hut and weren't planning on coming down till Tuesday. They weren't hit on the way up or down as you might imagine.

{EDIT I've corrected this below)

First snow tends to be around now, so keep praying for an early start!

dsc4073js2.jpg

Looks well above 1500m but still a fair bit of snow. Its a glorious day. Enjoy the view Fatty.

Unfortunately, two of the women in that party died and two are still up there. The heli has already been out this morning. The guide with them wasn't local, but has previously climbed K2.

Damn right im going to enjoy the view with a mug of joe. it looks like a fair bit of snow as well.

the news also reports climbers on or near hotaka got into trouble. people always pack your down it will save your life.

fattwins_106.jpg

it was so stormy in the valley on sunday, but as i drove south towards omachi i could see it had snowed up high. i got back from mount fuji a bit too late yesterday to get photos in hakuba - but the view of the alps in hakuba were stunning from all the way down the valley on the expressway near matsumoto, we could see it was a lot of snow from there...

so here's the view from my place 6.30am

eskimobasecamp_125.jpg

and looking over to happo and goryu

eskimobasecamp_124.jpg

and a little bit of snow on mount fuji yesterday

eskimobasecamp_123.jpg

You've got to get up earlier Fatty for a pic with no clouds. My pic is 100m from Fattys. I live too close to the lifts to see anything from my place.

Have you got a pic of Happo Ike fjef? It would have been killer yesterday.

I'll correct my earlier post about the accident since they hit trouble near the top on the way up. They did enter the mountains and stayed in a hut on the sixth, but it was at the bottom at Babatani on the Toyama side, not the top as I assumed. From there, its 15km and 2000m vert gain to the top. With a heavy multiday bag, that's an impressive hike in any conditions, let alone in nonstop rain for 50 to 70-year-old women. It sounds like they hit a blizzard when already completely knackered. They hit problems only a few hundred meters from the top hut. In the end, the two sisters that bivved also died.

Monday was a great day to be in Hakuba - here are 10 pics taken during the day. There were jumpers training on both ski jumps - about 100 hand gliders and para whatevers in the air and fesh snow on top. The little guy is Kaz...

Hakuba pics

Quote:
Originally posted by fjef:
Monday was a great day to be in Hakuba - here are 10 pics taken during the day. There were jumpers training on both ski jumps - about 100 hand gliders and para whatevers in the air and fesh snow on top. The little guy is Kaz...

Hakuba pics
nice pics, thanks for sharing \:\)
Looks like you had a great day \:\)

We hiked from Tsubakuro-Yarigatake this past Sat 8-Mon 10, yeah it was an interesting time to be in the mountains up there. This is near the peak of Tsubakuro on Sat. In some places the snow was around 30cm from wind-drift.

01.jpg

day 2 early morning

02.jpg

day 3 looking at Yarigatake from Tengu-Hara

03.jpg