I went for the cheap Falken tyre/tire (someone please explain the 2 diff spellings!!)

for traction they were fine, but!

i had one blowout and one puncture. not sure exactly why my left rear decided to blow on me coming down the mountain, but it was very scary.

i need new ones this year, i think i will go cheap again.

Tire is North American. It's part of their "rational" spelling of English, like Kansas and Arkansas lol.gif

I never compromise on tyres because they are the vital link with the road. Everything depends on them. However, I'd be quite happy with anything made in Japan, or Japanese branded.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
I just checked, and I have Autobacs own North Trek tyres........so he wasn't pushing their own brand on me at all.
lol.gif
Yeah I know that sounds like he was, but he wasn't at all. He explained the differences and then left it up to me. There were three or four others I almost went for which were all around the same price. Anyway, I agree with soub about not going cheap.
 Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
However, I'd be quite happy with anything made in Japan, or Japanese branded.
The above quote should go in the "you've been in japan too long" tread..

Thanks for the clarification on tires
Tsonda and Sou btw

lol.gif It's not quite what it might seem. I have a great deal of respect for Japanese products because I have spent 40 years watching them displace western products from the market. That is because consumers like the quality and reliability.

I take a lot of interest in tyres, and IMO Michelin is by far the top brand.

WRT to snow tyres, the best place to test and develop them is where you have lots of snow. The best snow tyres come from Japan and Finland.

• 1 month later...

I went to the car dealer yesterday and ordered the new Dunlop DSX studless tires. I am getting ready for the white fluffy staff! happyglass.gif

I also order an ETC card, anyone else uses one? It seems that the tolls are cheaper if you are using the ETC system during the night and some limited hour window during the day.

yep, I use etc. Get 50% off if you use it during the two peak hour periods. 7am-9am, and 5pm-7pm thumbsup.gif

I put it in before driving up to Nagano from here last year. I drove in that 40% off window (12am-6am, or something like that) and it paid for itself just on that trip.

There is also a 50% off window if you use the highway for less than 100 km at the time.

Someone was telling me that just befor reaching the 100 km limit, was geting off the higway and then geting on again at the same gate to drive 100 more.

• 5 weeks later...
 Quote:
yeah, that is the peak hour discount tsondaboy. It is good between those times and only for 100 kms. I have often wondered about whether you can get it twice by getting off and on again.
Ok I gave it a try last weekend and worked fine! I did 99 km with 50% discount went out came back in and did 40 more with 50%. It was during the morning time window 05:00 to 08:00.
Strangely, on the return during the afternoon window I got only 30% off instead of 50% even though I did only 98 km.

Used snow tires are fantastic value in Japan - you can find them on the net and your local mechanic will probably know of a source. I got 2 studdless tires for my Delica with rims for 4,000 yen (for all 4) The tires are in almost new condition and all I paid for was an extra wheel balance and installation. Not a bad deal at all!

You can also rent snow tires cheaply if you can't justify or store an extra set.

Quote:
Originally posted by fjef:
Used snow tires are fantastic value in Japan -
Was thinking about this the other day, wandered how available used tyres are. What kind of thing are you looking for when shopping, just general wear and tear? How much did you pay for the balancing and fitting?

Mainly tread-depth. Obviously with a snow tyre, you want plenty. Look at the wear patterns and avoid anything where the wear is uneven across the tread, or shows scalloping. Look for damage (cuts/splits) in the sidewalls. Finally, make sure they are round: tyres can go out-of-round

Quote:
good to her that worked Tsondaboy \:\) Weird about the avo discount of only 30% though... confused.gif
Ok, I was checking the ETC rates through this site and I think I ve figured out why that happened.

I got on the highway at 05:45 in the morning did 100 km got of and got the 50% discount because I was travelling during the night time window.
top_graph.gif

Then I entered the highway again at 06:45 did 40 km and got the 50% because I was travelling in the morning window.
top_graph.gif
The discount you get also depends on the part of the highway you use. On the return I was in the afternoon discount window, but for the part I did there was only 30% discount.
From what I checked through the Highway Navigator site, I should be able to do the same thing in the evening if I get on/off at different entrances than last time.
I ll give it a try next weekend and tell you how it went. \:\)