• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: thursday
Some advice I read from an inbound ski tour operator, not hard to guess who.

Respect your hosts
� Learn a few simple Japanese words
before arriving as a little can go a long
way.
� Remove your shoes when entering homes
and some restaurants.
� Be polite and courteous to shop owners
and accommodation managers.
� Rowdy behaviour in public places such as onsens, bars, restaurants and lift lines will not
be tolerated. lol
� Chopsticks etiquette: Do not hold the chopsticks between your teeth, use your chopsticks like drumsticks, stand your chopsticks up in a bowl of rice, or pass food directly from chopsticks to chopsticks. lol
� Sort and dispose of rubbish correctly.
� Don�t ski/board on roads or footpaths.

I think most mature adults try very hard to polite. But after having a good time and a lot of beers, some tend to forget especially young guys, like that British bloke who licked the tuna at Tsukiji. That ended up with a ban on ALL tourists at Tsukiji for awhile.

This just in from our Tokyo Tuna correspondent:

Quote:
From December 10, 2009 to January 23, 2010, the busiest time of the year at Tsukiji Fish Market, tourists will not be allowed to watch the morning tuna auctions to ensure a smooth and accident (sabortage, drunken gaijin) free course of business.

Furthermore

Quote:

Since the wholesale area of Tsukiji Market is a site where serious business is conducted, it is important for visitors not to interfere with the action by adhering to the following rules:

Do Visit the tuna auction only between 5:00am and 6:15am!

Do not enter areas restricted to authorized personnel!

Do not obstruct traffic!

Do not bring large bags or suitcases into the market!

Do not take flash photography during the tuna auction!

Do not enter the market in high heeled shoes or sandals!

Do not bring small children or pets!

Do not smoke in the market!

Do not touch (or lick) the fish!

I have never understood why people want to go to a fish market.

Visit between 5:00am and 6:15am!! You have got to be kidding! I'm only ever up at that hour if I've just pulled an all nighta at karaoke and would definitely not be in any state to go to a fish market.

I used to visit Billingsgate fish market in the very early hours to get the very lovely lobsters that were there. Any later, n they're all gone to the Michelin muffin pushers in London.

Used to disco 'til late, grab some more alc, drive down to the fishface market and get some fresh lobster sashimi. Yum.

There was ALWAYS a sober dedicated driver mind. lol