Originally Posted By: Mamabear
No English, SOME pictures on the menu, but not many - and a boy with passable Yr 12 Japanese - he could read some of the menu, but not enough... "Ummmm...that's chicken, and it is like a set meal, it costs x, not sure what that other word is...let's get it"
lol We had a dinner of chicken hearts, chicken skin, god knows what else ... .

If he doesn't know that level of japanese for a Yr 12, then you need to give him a slap for not paying attention. Unless you mean Australian yr 12 Japanese level, then that's a different matter altogether.

and skin is cook IF it's fresh off the grill and crunchy.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry but unfortunately there a more embarrassing Australians coming to Japan than the more respectful ones like a lot of us on this forum.

I watched an Australian in 343 huffing and puffing at the very polite japanese man behind the counter, that it was ridiculous how he couldn't understand him and if he wanted to make his business work and keep up with the tourist he should learn to speak better english. I was cringing in the corner and and then politely walked over and very calmly looked at the Japanese man and said "gomenasai (about the only japanese I knew) then looked at the man and said perhaps he should learn some japanese and some manners before he thought about coming to japan again.

At which point Mr Snowhunter stepped in and grabbed me by the elbow and gently guided me out into the snow to calm down.

I think the only reason I am learning japanese at the moment is so that at least I can be polite and try while I am there even if half the time they wont be able to understand me!!

Good for you, Snowhuntress, and thanks.

This whole talk about Japanese also being rowdy is totally beside the point. Just because some Japanese misbehave doesn't mean that we now all have licence to do the same. Bad behaviour is bad behaviour regardless of nationality. And while Japanese can be loud when they are drunk I cannot imagine the shit that you described coming from a Japanese.

Originally Posted By: Schneebrettmann
Good for you, Snowhuntress, and thanks.
This whole talk about Japanese also being rowdy is totally beside the point. Just because some Japanese misbehave doesn't mean that we now all have licence to do the same. Bad behaviour is bad behaviour regardless of nationality. And while Japanese can be loud when they are drunk I cannot imagine the shit that you described coming from a Japanese.

Exactly!

And failing to understand that you are a visitor in someone else's country and that it is YOU who are the foreigner is something that some people will never learn. Good on ya, snowhuntress, for taking it upon yourself to inform that iggerant fool. (and thanks to the hunter for bringing you back alive!)

One cringe-worthy experience I saw in a Japanese restaurant was when a foreign female decided it was time to start lecturing everyone about the killing of whales simply because it was on the menu. The Japanese are the next table picked up on it but, as you would expect, didn't say anything. So I guess there's two lessons to the story: 1.) Don't assume that the locals don't know what you're talking about because you're prattling away in English; and 2.) Think about the appropriate time that you decide to bring out your soapbox.

Can you imagine it. If it was a curry restaurant in any city in the UK, and they started bad mouthing local habits, like weekly bingo for instance, there'd be a "you what, jon." from the next table right away.

I'm a yuppie vegetarian - Don't eat any red meats only chicken occasionally and fish. Other friends of mine a vego's and they get right off on lecturing everyone about eating meat and how horrid you are for eating it yadda yadda yadda!!!

I am the ultimate animal lover, and will not even kill a spider or ant. I must admit I was a little horrified the first time I went to Japan with the whole Whale Killing, Dolphin Culling and Horse Sushimi That took the cake BUT what about us we eat and kill kangaroo's (our national anthem), crocodile, camel, snake etc. I am TOTALLY against killing anything but we may horrify the Japanese with killing the Kangaroo's as they do for killing whales.

The silly cow should have just shut up and ordered a bowl of rice and a glass of wine, which is what I quite happily do in Japan.

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
I'm a yuppie vegetarian - Don't eat any red meats only chicken occasionally and fish. Other friends of mine a vego's and they get right off on lecturing everyone about eating meat and how horrid you are for eating it yadda yadda yadda!!!

OK Sweet Heart. You work on a farm with animals and things no? You know what a yuppie is? And you certainly don't know what a vegetarian is. rollabout

Look, I see it this way.

Animals can communicate with other spices including human. They are all intelligent and have personalities. They are not so different to us.

We all have to eat. The difference is that us humans are aware to a point that our existence is a sin. Becoming a farmer has given us the opportunity to do less killing. Gives us the possibility. why?

From a pint of view of outdoor survival, the hardest substance to supply us that is a necessity - FAT, OIL

hence unless you are living in an area with avocados and nuts growing all over, It will be impossible to survive as a vegetarian. We have to kill animals to get this FAT in most cases . Eating insects can supply protein, minerals and fish like salmon helps with oil. After the kill you will be eating raw liver, drinking blood ... not like most who can't stalk and hunt without a gun and the only piece of meat is that paid from a butcher of a selected cut. Knifes and folks and table manners how very civilized.

If I am at a war zone I'd definitely be eating my kill. Just meat, as the argument goes, but with respect.

Personally, If I have animals on my farm, I would never be able to slaughter it for meat or money.

meat tastes good!! Just now I'm reading Fast Food Nation, I think its the same guy who did Super Size Me, and its an eye-opener about the meat packing industry. Albeit its focussed on America but I bet the practices are identical all over the western world. Although I will never give up eating red meat, the things they say about the conditions the animals live in, the fact that feces is present in the meat that we eat due to the conditions of slaughter, it certainly makes you look at meat in the supermarket in a whole new way.

BTW kangaroo tastes Good!! smile

I saw that film. It's rubbish. Badly made. Stories and scenes jumping everywhere. II mex workers, burger wars, cows in compounds, back to burger bar, II mexs running away. etc... very muddled.

Look how the wagyu is treated. They even get beer.... good boy.

Originally Posted By: thursday

� Rowdy behaviour in public places such as onsens, bars, restaurants and lift lines will not
be tolerated. lol

What will happen o.O

I was told that you can't talk loudly in public places e.g trains or busses.

This true ?
Originally Posted By: Korbzy
Originally Posted By: thursday

� Rowdy behaviour in public places such as onsens, bars, restaurants and lift lines will not
be tolerated. lol

What will happen o.O

I was told that you can't talk loudly in public places e.g trains or busses.

This true ?

yep, you get shot by lasers that monitor all public places if your voice rises above a whisper