Some advice I read from an inbound ski tour operator, not hard to guess who.

Respect your hosts

• Learn a few simple Japanese words

before arriving as a little can go a long

way.

• Remove your shoes when entering homes

and some restaurants.

• Be polite and courteous to shop owners

and accommodation managers.

• Rowdy behaviour in public places such as onsens, bars, restaurants and lift lines will not

be tolerated. lol.gif

• Chopsticks etiquette: Do not hold the chopsticks between your teeth, use your chopsticks like drumsticks, stand your chopsticks up in a bowl of rice, or pass food directly from chopsticks to chopsticks. lol.gif

• Sort and dispose of rubbish correctly.

• Don’t ski/board on roads or footpaths.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by MedallionMan:
Same here. I enjoy planning things myself anyway, it's part of the build up fun.
Thats how I found this site and ultimately a place to stay and a whole lot more. With a travel agent that wouldnt have happened.

As for being polite and respecting culture its a no brainer although it took me about 2 years to lose the "culture" (and beer and burger kgs) I absorbed when living in the US. \:\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
Some advice I read from an inbound ski tour operator, not hard to guess who.

Respect your hosts
• Learn a few simple Japanese words
before arriving as a little can go a long
way.
• Remove your shoes when entering homes
and some restaurants.
• Be polite and courteous to shop owners
and accommodation managers.
• Rowdy behaviour in public places such as onsens, bars, restaurants and lift lines will not
be tolerated. lol.gif
• Chopsticks etiquette: Do not hold the chopsticks between your teeth, use your chopsticks like drumsticks, stand your chopsticks up in a bowl of rice, or pass food directly from chopsticks to chopsticks. lol.gif
• Sort and dispose of rubbish correctly.
• Don’t ski/board on roads or footpaths.
sounds more like a list of dos an don`ts you get for an upcoming school camp. do they include a list of what clothes to bring:-
2 pair of socks
2 pair of underware
waterproof jacket in case it... SNOWS

yeah well, after having worked in a pension in niseko it's hard to know how much you have to hold peoples hands or tell them what to do.

i can't remember all the good ones, but we had one aussie guest who was fond of walking around the communal areas dressed in nothing more than his scungy underpants, much to the delight of the japanese guests.

and it was always "fun" taking guests to an onsen and having them insist on remaining semi-clothed. fools, the lots of them i say.

i used to think that travel was a good way of openning people up to other cultures, but now i think some folks should just stay at home.

ok, that's my rant done. time to climb off this high horse....

I prefer to go direct, however for an impending trip to Japan we have found the agent is quite a bit cheaper.

To stay on topic, treat others how you would like to be treated, ie with respect and courtesy. You make lots more friends that way thumbsup

• 3 years later...

In my experience, the worst reactions you will get in Japan are from other foreigners who want to lose or distance themselves from the Western world. In the ski resorts, people are generally cool but you might come across the odd foreigner who's not dealing with Japan too well.

Sat at the bar at my local. The Hirafu Sushi at Alpen. Blonde couple walked in, took some time to look at the menu, then ordered the Hirafu sushi platter. Yummy. Just what I was having.

Their food arrived while I was getting stuck into my crab legs and sake. I finished the crab legs, looked up and the blondies had gone, leaving a full uneaten platter.

I looked at the chef, that was some look on his face, and I dived back to my sake.

Originally Posted By: skidaisuki
"Rowdy behaviour in public places such as onsens, bars, restaurants and lift lines will not
be tolerated"

Yes - that one deserves a laugh. Japanese always behave perfectly at izakayas, after all....

Of course. The rowdy hooligans at Izakayas are Japanese speaking 3rd world country Asian foreigners. They are responsible for most of the crimes in Japan too!

razz
Originally Posted By: thursday
Sat at the bar at my local. The Hirafu Sushi at Alpen. Blonde couple walked in, took some time to look at the menu, then ordered the Hirafu sushi platter. Yummy. Just what I was having.

Their food arrived while I was getting stuck into my crab legs and sake. I finished the crab legs, looked up and the blondies had gone, leaving a full uneaten platter.

I looked at the chef, that was some look on his face, and I dived back to my sake.

lol
That is seriously funny!!

Although we did have an 'experience' with food that was a tad TOO Japanese delicacy for our childrens western palates in Tokyo in a rather fancy Yakitori resturant. No English, SOME pictures on the menu, but not many - and a boy with passable Yr 12 Japanese - he could read some of the menu, but not enough... "Ummmm...that's chicken, and it is like a set meal, it costs x, not sure what that other word is...let's get it"
lol We had a dinner of chicken hearts, chicken skin, god knows what else ... I enjoyed the experience, but wouldn't order it again. The kids [bless them] tried everything, but grabbed a Macca's burger on the way back to the Hotel.

They do whole sparrows, too. Very crunchy.

The yakitori chicken skin is best done with sea salt. The rest is better with sauce.

Ever tried chicken sasimi ocha -zuke ? Raw thin sliced chicken fillet on top of rice, and you pour on top green japanese tea. a smudge of wasabi on the side. The meat cooks from that heat.

Yummy.

chicken skin yakitori is quite nice when its done right, as Jynnx says, with salt and making it crunchy....I hate when its all slimy. Can't do hearts and other bits though. Ate pig heart the other day because this J-guy bought it for me and my mate as we were at a real hole in the wall standing bar and he wanted to be friendly. I just managed to eat it and not offend him.