The pictures are nice and this is meant to be the premier resort in China.

The places to keep away from are the ones near Beijing. Last winter, news reports on TV showed chaos with people queueing for over an hour to get on the lifts.

There is massive demand for ski instructors, even English speaking ones.

I heard that in China everyone was allocated a ration of powder at the beginning of the day at first lifts - everything is organised by the lift company so no one person gets more (or less) fresh powder during the days riding?

creekboy; in reply to your question quite a few posts back; why Akita? We're staying with the Japanese family for 3 weeks.

I only started boarding after visiting Akita at New Year and thought there might be something to this snowboarding given how much snow there was (I can see one ski-jo from the front door of the inlaws house). So in winter of 04/05 I learnt to board in 3 different resorts. I managed to get out for about 19 days solid boarding on, at times, deserted slopes, with daily fresh powder.It was a really intense learning curve, I progressed form sliding down the piste to long fast carving. I am now officially hooked.Alps last Christmas (shocked how busy & impolite it was)and now returning to Akita for New Year and am looking at some other resorts to visit; Appi and am interested in Hachimantai, but don't think my powderskills are ready yet.

I would love to meet up with anyone if they're in Tohoku between 27th Dec & 12th Jan. wave.gif

My nearest resort is Tazawako and I'll be 1.5 - 2 hrs from APPI & Hachimantai (I'll be driving daily to save on accomodation).When I'm there I try to do a full day and then to the local slope for the 'niita'. Anyway I'll take photos and do a report for all you southerners. \:D

Anyway I will be in Appi from the 6th - 8th Jan. Mrs T & I have booked an apartment (only ni mai nana sen yen for 3 nights clap.gif ) and the kids boarding lessons confirmed. aaahhhhhh forward planning.

I think I'll slope off to Hachimantai one day leaving the rest of the family at Appi, so in theory I'd have 3 spare seats (4 at a squeeze ) for anyone staying at Appi fancing a day out at Hachimantai. I'd probably go on the 7th Jan.

Thanks. That's a bit steep for me, and more than we need. If it comes off (no indication yet from my ex- that the boys can travel jerkit.gif), I'll probably stay at the Rocky Inn. Had a great night there last winter thumbsup.gif

OK, southern peeps, who's in?

Sunshine may be there for a one month gig too so we can get to hear some music.