I have heard and read a lot recently about Japan powder and I really want to check it out sometime. It sounds sweet.

Would you say the powder you have experienced in Japan beats other places around the world you have skied or snowboarded?

Nice to find this place by the way.

wave.gif

"Would you say the powder you have experienced in Japan beats other places around the world you have skied or snowboarded?"

My experience is limited to Tohoku, and no, I've skied better (colder drier) powder in Europe. OTOH, if you mean fresh snow, 10-70cm daily, then nowhere compares.

I went to Niseko in Feb this year and then in march i went to BC canada ( yer lucky bastard i know ) While in Whistler BC I did a back country tour directly after a late season dump of 40 cm.

Our guide was raving about the quality and lightness of the snow

" This is as good as interior powder, not like coast powder at all "

to quote him directly. While these long term BC guides were discussing this I was thinking one thing.

Yep this powder is good but it aint Hokkaido powder !

well, since you're asking about 'Japan powder' I assume you mean all of Japan and not just Hokkaido.

Toyama powder isn't so good among the powders of the world. When it first snows it's good but then it gets very wet and heavy and chunks up.

I haven't skied Utah but I've skied the Canadian Rockies and Whistler on big powder days all the way down to the village. I never knew pow could be so light and dry until skiing Hokkaido. And as far as quantity goes, it seems like places in Hokkaiko and Tohoku get more snow -- actually a lot more snow if you can believe it --than even the snowiest places in North America. Nagano gets heaps (except New Years 1997). Even places much further south max out at about a 2 meter base.

Check out the 'Now' records on this websight. Some of the snowiest places may not be listed but Niseko, Hokkaido is there. The thing about the 'Now' sights is that there's no exaggeration or corporate interest and when it hasn't snowed for about three days at Niseko the writer starts complaining about the 'drought' and packed powder -- shows how high the expectations are. Whistler's official websight however says things like "Blazing sunshine! 360 degree unlimited view!! Be here, now!!!" Translation: "it hasn't snowed for two weeks and we're all skiing on f-ing hard pack!"

Japan's snow abosolutely kicks ass. In-bounds terrain is another story however.

Best snow I have experienced in Japan was in Shiga Kogen. Amazing it was, so much different to other places I had tried in Niigata and even Hakuba when I have been there.

i have boarded ( heli ) that is in nz and canada and done mt blanc, les houche, le brevent etc... but in terms of accessibility ( kagura is only 192kms from tokyo - 3 hours by car ), connections ( shinkansen etc ), costs, facilities ( those button lifts in nz and france were terrible ), amount of snow and quality ( kagura powder is GOOD ), japan is easily the best place to board IN THE WORLD!!!

well, i think so!