• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
Relaxed people meditating around the half pipe, saying ohm? Or relaxed like after a sauna and massage?
it's all semantics man. "chilled" really means the embrace of all things stagnant and complacent.

>> "chilled" really means the embrace of all things stagnant and complacent.

well I must not be very chilled \:\)

EBC - the tone of your latest post has improved: bored of park, scoping out steep-rocky-icy lines, planning on shagging some BC guy on overnight hut stay.

>> You basically have to drive for 40 minutes up a mountain to reach the snowline

It is still better than Australia! (but none the less, sounds a little lack lustre)

yeah yeah queenstown is sick, if you have some down time...go bungie jumping! i think you can still do night jumps... the bungie in queenstown have these harnesses that allow you to do backflips ect... which is cool if thats what your into

UPDATE -

Well, mountains are pretty unforgiving places and i learned that yesterday the hard way. I wore a helmet for the first time ever in my life, and it saved my life.

After a few days of riding, one day in Queenstown to pick up Shapeshifter tickets, one day of getting to the base to discover everyone going in the opposite direction as a storm came in, and one day of the mountain being CLOSED, we were back... and there was fresh snow.

The chutes in the middle of the mountain were now accessible and not totally rocks anymore, so as the boys headed into the park, i thought screw this and went to find some nice lines and that i did... soon the boys were into it too and we spied out some really crazy steep narrow chutes to ski off, we crossed a LOT of rocks, picked our line and dropped in... so sweeeet and a milllion times more fun that park could ever be - real mountain, real skiing, real features, real fun.

In the afternoon i ventured back to the same spot equipped with one brother and a camera - as he headed to the bottom to shoot (note my bro thought the line was too scary that he avoided it completely the whole day) i found the spot again. I signalled and so did he. The chute was super narrow and real rocky - one turn and then straighline was the only way. I dropped in, vertical to start, i made my turn, my skis slipped and went straight to the first rock - the snow had gone from being fluffy fresh in the morning to soggy wet and slidy...... i hit the first rock and there was no turning back, from there i preceded to tumble over a series of huge rocks (as my brother watched on in total shock) - over the rocks i continued with no skis by now down the rest of the slope. I finally came to halt as my brother was striding up the slope towards me, i was completely winded, trying to shout HELP, but only able to get out "HEEE..." every time - it was pretty horrific to be honest. Ski patrol were called and i sat in the same position as i had landed, my back and leg in extreme pain, i looked behind up at the rocks, my skis still up there. I got stretchered off the mountain on a snowmobile and taken in to see a doctor. Considering the steep fall and the number of rocks i hit one after another, i can't quite believe i didn't break anything, though if i had not being wearing a helmet yesterday, i honestly don't think i'd be writing this at all.

So almost 24 hours on, i'm here almost in one piece with some quite scratched up skis, a ripped jacket and my upper left leg twice the size it used to be, with cuts all over it... i can hardly walk. I've applied for my season pass refund and my next move? Well the reason i slipped should explain my next move.

Why did i slip? Because my edges were completely de-tuned for riding park. So screw the park, i'm going to get my ski bases cleaned up now, if i can walk to the shop, and i'll have my edges back on them, super sharp and ready to go back, once my leg stops hurting.

On the note of park riding, i'd like to say i actually totally agree, you might as well do that shit in an indoor ski place. The rocks spanked me hard yesterday, but i'd much rather take them on than a damn kicker or a damn rail that requires no edges.

More later....

//ebc (a bit sore and shaken)

Oh man, its a bit unfair that after all our ranting about getting into it, you go out and beat yourself up, resulting in your NZ trip ending early. Sorry, I feel a bit guilty. You are lucky that no bones are broken. You weren't rushing without thinking were you, heated up with something to prove? Don't feel too bad about yourself if so, having a camera pointing at you is a dangerous thing. I'm sure it was a learning experience beyond the fact that parks rails give you blunt edges. Dont blame the park - take responsibility for your own edges \:\)

At least you got to successfully and enjoyably ride it in the morning! You tasted both sides of the risk-reward equation.

Did you cry?

ps - You know after claiming a vertical entry line, you are going to have to post a few pictures ;\)

Glad to here you're not (badly) hurt EBC but those pictures are important. Let's see them. All of us enduring monsoon heat while you're having fun in NZ deserve a little schadenfreude.

"i was completely winded, trying to shout HELP, but only able to get out "HEEE..." every time - it was pretty horrific to be honest."

I'm sorry but this made me laugh. There have been more than a few occassions in my life where I've found myself in that position, usually with my little brother standing beside me saying, "I knew we shouldn't have done that".

OMG, ebc! that sucks, but glad to hear your injuries weren't worse, which it sounds like they could easily have been. good on you to have had somebody w/ you.

have a speedy recovery

when i was in the hospital for

a week for surgery on my fractured wrist i got a lot of reading in. hope you have something to occupy your time w/ now

That's too bad

Need pictures

I hope you can get back on the hills. You have to get back on that horse.

Don't blame it on the edges. I've never sharpened mine. But then I've never ridden rails.

Get better

And also post a picture of your giant leg

hey guys thanks \:\) gettin better, limpin less like a ragged dog and more like a girl who wants to just ski again. le spud - lol no i didn't go out there with anything to prove, i just went skiing, skied the same line all morning and a few other good ones, shit happens, the snow changed, i slipped, my edges weren't up to much... it's over and it's quite a miracle that i didn't snap myself in half. got over the trauma of it now and feeling much more up for my trip now.... should be getting the money back on my pass and going to stay with evergreen miles then heading up to christchurch with him and hitting a club field on the way. so if i get in a day or 2 at treble cone and ski a club field, having almost walked... or limped away from a huge fall, then i'll be content. in the meantime i've been hanging out with skydivers lol - been out to the airport for the last 2 days with new friends and taking lots of photos, while wondering if tumbling off a cliff on skis onto rocks or falling out of a plane is worse lol?! tonight is the quarter pipe invitational at snowpark so going up for the party and antics up there... and fully looking forward to seeing shapeshifter (nz drum n bass) tomorrow night for the final party of the burton open. apparently there's some really famous japanese riders up there, who's names despite HOW DAMN famous they are lol, my brother couldn't quite recall... probably about as famous as that guy who lives next door to FT lol thumbsup.gif anyway, as for my injuries, i got a second opinion from another doctor yesterday who confirmed i had broken nothing and referred me to physio - keep on taking the pills and lather on the peppermint cooooooling bruise cream. i have a contusion (whatever that is?) and extreme and deep bruising.... i pretty much have a bruise the size of africa on my leg, which is numb on top - have photos, but don't think i'll be posting them, my leg is cut up to f**k and it's pretty nasty. i have a picture of the line i skied tho thumbsup.gif

I agree with Knitted Hat, get the effing picture on line. I want to see what made you cry so hard that snot came out of your nose.

Have fun for the rest of the trip, it sounds like you have good company (anyone called Evergreen Miles must know about good BC. That name puts most hollywood children to shame!)

ps - I think the drugs your doctor gave you are making you giggle all the time lol.

patience boyz, i won't be posting any photos from nz you'll have to wait until i arrive back in japan land ;\)

le spud - Evergreen Miles (miles, a kiwi who worked at evergreen in hakuba last season) is a spanking top dude and we'll soon be off on our christchurch/club field adventure... well actually i can't really walk yet, but we'll be going!

for anyone who cares about japan's snowboarders - some dude called 'somethin ishihara' won in the quarter pipe invitational at snowpark last night for the highest ummmm jump or whatever.

we didn't push her inot nothing (davo i'm reading your with a light tone and a smilin graemlin @ the end of it ;\) )

ebc's got goals and apparently was hittin g the slope all morning. just needs to get on a rac course and maybe read a few books. i'm jealous. wish i could spend a month in nz for a second season

speedy recovery 2 u ebc!!