Avoid Kanpachi as much as possible and it shouldn't take you long to get outta the city. 6am on Kanpachi is a bugger for trucks and cars heading out to Nagano so you may wanna get through here as quick as possible or that 10K stretch from the Shutoko to the Kanetsu IC will take over 30 mins alone. Particualry if the tunnel works are still hapening.

If you live on the other side of Tokyo you do also have the option of taking the Shutoko round the other way up past Saitama to come back on the Kanetsu without going on any normal roads.

Another area to watch for is the Yuzawa tunnel and the exit on the other side.

If you can see that there is a jam through the tunnel (watch the signs on the Kanetsu, get off at the exit (sorry forget the name) just before it and take the valley road over which will bring you out at Naeba.

From Tanashi, I don't think you need to use Kanpachi. It must be easier and faster to drive for Tokorozawa and get on Kanetsu.

The exit before tunnel is Tsukiyono, the road is usually very icy and please drive carefully in the valley. If you use this valley road, I think it takes around 3hours without traffic jam.

mogski, you forgot the name of Tsukiyono, still can't go skiing with your baby this winter? ;\)

This is a site I find very useful because I also travel a lot with my car. You can calculate the tolls you need from one IC to another and also gives you alternative roots. Unfortunately is only in Japanese.

As far as for the Kanetsu expressway I also prefer to drive to Tokorozawa IC and get on there. It is usually really packed from Nerima-Tokorozawa. Also when I get on the highway before 6 in the morning is not that bad.

http://search.jhnet.go.jp/route/hinavi.html

The road up from the Tsukiyono IC area to Naeba > Yuzawa from before the tunnel is Route 17 and while there may be a lot of cars going up there, there shouldn't be any jams. If there has been a new snowfall - like today - it may be slow going though (windy road).

In bad conditions it can take ages on Route 17. Unless the jam is right from Gunma into Yuzawa (I can't see that), I'd definitely take the expressway if time is an issue.