I'm up for buying a new snowboard for next season.

Any tips of good ones to look out for? Are we in for a revolution in design next season. (Thought not, oh well....)

\:\)

what type of riding?

For pow, the burton malolo looks good. It's got a faster base and also the core has been redesigned - 'powder fly'. It's also a bit cheaper than last year.

If you have 12man try the burton vapor - now that's a revolution in design. Just amazing!

Fanatic has a royal fish. the nose is a burton fish and it has a swallow tail.

If I was in the market I'd buy another Arbor. I have an A-Frame but love the look of the Abacus powder board - very old school. It follows the same approach as the Fish in design.

http://www.arborsports.com/06/snowboards/index.html

On a slightly different topic, have you guys ever ridden boards with quadratic side cuts? My board pre-dates the idea and has only a single radius side cut. I'd be interested to hear whether there is any real difference in the feel of a board with a quadratic side cut.

That Abacus is more like the malolo than a fish, but it all stems from the fish.

I've never ridden or known someone who rides an Arbor but they seem to have the pedigree for powder boards. Never heard of anyone complaining about one. Same with Winterstick.

If I find some money next season I want to get a board to practise snowboard-cross.

Haven’t made up my mind yet on what to buy, but since I am really happy with my Prior board, I might be getting one more board from them.

What kind of riding are you into Hokkaidough?

Here are lots and lots of the 2007 boards ->the full line up (I think) from 23 companies. The description is in French but at least you can see the graphics. When you choose a board it shows 3 others like it. The rossi halfgun looks interesting

Next winter I will get to try the vokl selekta which I'm looking forward to thumbsup.gif

http://www.skipass.com/guide-matos/snowboard/2007/

I am sniffing around for a board for (it sounds dicky) steep and technical. The kind of descents where lots of speed is not wanted, rather the objective is controlled turns in the right spot at the right time. Turns that have a pause before the next turn, or are linked together in a very slow flowing movement, but nothing faster. To make really tight radius turns it helps to have a board with a deep side cut? But too deep and the board starts to lose edge on steeper icy surfaces? Any suggestions for this type of specific-purpose board? I am not talking a steep and deep type of Alaskan powder board. I am talking steep and difficult/technical.

My current short board is great for fast messy off-piste as it is stiff and wide. Even though I have small feet, I bought the model made for wide feet looking for and getting more speed stability as well as extra support in soft snow (but not needing it to be a powder board)

Rag-Doll: my Head board has a triple radius side cut. I have no idea if I can even notice the difference. Perhaps I could if my technique was perfect and the groomed run was very smooth and consistent. I don’t know about it really. Most of the time I think that a board is a board unless a it is made for and ridden in specific conditions (fish, longboards etc).

Just checking that French site and look what I found. Holly shit! He’s made a shorter version of the D1.

It is only 5’5” rather than 6’

Damn, that’s two boards I have to buy this season. Nothing about on the Dupraz website though.

5837.jpg

spud: burton t6 or the most expensive nitro boards (doesn't matter which year - they are always stiff and let you turn on a dime). last year was the darkhorse. you can always find the year before's for real cheap as not too many people drop the 1000 bucks u need for them

http://www.nitrousa.com/products.php?sub=Boards&lang=en&prod=1

in the situation you described I would use my burton frontier from 2002. designed by Johan Oloffson, it's stiff and holds an edge. It's real tough too. I've gotten nasty core shots and ripped the insides out on an avie barrier and it's still fine. It's delamming too but no loss in performance.

after writing this, maybe strike out the burton t6 as I hear it's fragile, and while nitros have 2 year warranties thumbsup.gif their turnaround time on warranties takes a long time thumbsdown.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
If I find some money next season I want to get a board to practise snowboard-cross.
lots of my jfriends ride Yonex carbon boards but they are expensive. but most of the bx pros I know go for boards with the fastest base

Sound like I am also looking around for a similar board (spring-tours on steep technical corn), I have been eyeing the Tom Burt and Severe Terrain from Winterstick. Stiff and big sidecut radius should help with edge grip.

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:

I am sniffing around for a board for (it sounds dicky) steep and technical. The kind of descents where lots of speed is not wanted, rather the objective is controlled turns in the right spot at the right time.

Rag-Doll is right about the A-Frame. I love my Arbor and it helped change how I look at and approach boarding. So of the 07 Arbors coming out have a really great look to them. I think they are making a bambo board for guys this year.

Boots are an other story…..

Speaking of which, boots are something I wanna buy for next season. I was using up to now a pair of Burtons Rulers and I don’t have any complains about them. After 4 seazons though, they have become quite soft and I need a new pair.

Hi Montoya, good to read your comments. The Winterstick range is awesome, thanks for reminding me of it. Reading up on their descriptions I really like the sound of the Tom Burt, however it seems like they regard it more for long line charging that technical controlled turns. The ST sounds like the job though. I'll be reading up on that fancy Nitro as well, plus the Arbor. Thanks guys.

(the ride description they give for the Tom Burt is actually how I would describe my D1)

Besaides a really old custom burton, I have a Head iCT from 2004 and a 177cm Dupraz D1. Don't get me started on the Dupraz. It is thick and stiff tailed and amazing. It is a given that I am buying the 165cm version as well.

Tsonda - I don't really need it, but they are just classic boards, kind of like a collectors item without actually being rare. Serge Dupraz invented the modern snowboard shape and his 6' model is amazing to ride. I am short and light and in all but the deepest and highest speed powder situations could probably get just as much satisfaction from the 5'5" model. Overall, the big D1 is probably slightly too big for me. Plus it will be much easier to hike with. I once spent 3 hours climbing an outrageously windy ridge line (heavy scrambling but no rope) with the long D1 strapped to my back. The nose caught on rocks above me as I climbed and the wind just about pulled me off the ridge line. (and the ride down was rubbish thanks to almost zero visibility and 6 inches of wind slab sliding under us as we rode).

I also want to put my girlfriend on the small D1 on powder days. That would be fun, the two of us touring and riding powder on longboards. Just thinking about it gives me a buzz.

Kuma - if you can speak/read French then I am jealous. I will google translate the reviews but glowing reports don't surprise me. It is an extremely satisfying board to ride. I get guys (mainly French) stop me in the street in Cham to tell me how great they thought the board is. They aren't like a normal snowboard, almost in their own class and if someone has ridden it they kind of instantly assume a kinship with another complete stranger who also rides one, like a little subculture within the longboard subculture of the former subculture of snowboarding.

That 07 boot thread is making me froth. I am at work (new job) and can't hammer away at SJ banter like normal.

I was in the Dolomites over the weekend. At 2000m it was a comfortable 16 degrees. At 300m in the lakes area leading up to the mountains it was 36 degrees! Having never been in mountains during summer I have never experienced such a massive temperature gradient.